Monday, July 5, 2010

We do have chicks!

Yes, they hatched! Not super percentages, but much better than our previous two clutches. They are peeping in the background as I write. They will make the move from house to coop sometime this week, but in the meantime I enjoy their presence and overhearing their conversations. We once again have two "miracle" chicks that took an incredibly long time to hatch and one looked deathly ill from the start. They are from Kali's chicken, Henny Hen, and while they won't be "breeders" in all likelihood they are fun to have around. They started their first night in the basin that was my Dad's bathtub as a baby. Fun!

Our garden is in a "lull" and I told Jason I'm not sure I want to see it when it is going full force if a lull still includes bringing in bowls of produce every few days. I picked our first yellow squash and zucchini last evening, as I munched on a few of the last peas. Our garlic is pulled and drying, as well as a portion of the onions. More potatoes are ready to dig, as well as more onions. We are enjoying a slow but steady supply of kale and now swiss chard, as well as basil for pesto and cooking. Jason is in awe of his over 3 foot high roma plants that are loaded with green fruit. I imagine when we return from vacation, it will be a good thing if we are well rested!!

No comments:

Post a Comment