Saturday, September 11, 2010

Second Trimester begins!!

So I realize I haven't posted a thing since we made public that Tadpole is on his/her way! I figured today, the start of our 13th week coexisting, was a good time to enter the blogsphere again! I've mostly been just trying to make sure my energy lasts through the bare essentials of life - which in the past few months has involved A LOT of food processing, with grabbing naps on the futon whenever possible.

But I suppose it is a good sign that it is only 10:15am and Kali and I have already almost completed a "cooking class" (granola and bread yet to be baked) and had our first "running class." Kali got new sneakers this week and loves "classes" under the name "Sally" which I constantly forget and am then corrected. She was eager to try out her shoes and wanted a running class. Since I haven't been running for months now, I was glad that her energy for the running part of the class lasted no more than 100 yards or so at a time. But we did manage to jog/walk for about 3 miles and right now that is pretty much a record around here!! It was a beautiful morning and I loved listening to her chatter and talk to the cows and me and thoughts of how and to whom to place her weather order for snow.

While I'm on Kali, two quick stories that I got good chuckles out of. I will admit that the last number of weeks have been trying as my energy has been low and with that my patience. I've not been as gracious or receptive to the many "alternative" ways that Kali enjoys engaging in activities (that often make more work/clean up for me). But she continues to explore and engage the world in wonderful ways and when I'm rested and not nauseous it's wonderful! She also loves including Tadpole in most of our conversations and he/she gets lots of kisses from Kali!

The first story happened when we were walking down College Ave to a baby shower. It seems that walks hand in hand outside bring out the best in both of us. Kali was jabbering away and at one point said, "Mommy, I have a question." Nothing unusual there. But then she paused and said, "I know this might seem like a lot of questions, but that is just the way I am!" It took me off guard and I had to just stop and squeeze her. I'm happy for her growing self awareness!

Then last evening we were walking down to get the mail. She said, "Mommy, 45 + 45 = 801." At first I didn't get her mental process and then I realized she was trying to carry the one and add columns but had gotten things a little backwards. So we talked about it a bit and then she wanted some questions. I started with, "What is 32 + 32." After a very brief pause she said, "64. Now give me harder ones than that. I'm way past that." How did she get way past adding columns of numbers in her head without me ever knowing she could do it? So we proceeded to add all sorts of other things - "trickier" ones at her request.

Well, time for cooking class to continue. I will likely put a few posts up today as pictures of the last few months are in order - our pantry is colorful and bursting and I will admit to being ready to welcome the first frost whenever it comes! The tomatoes have done a wonderful job and they have my full permission, if needed, to retire whenever they are ready to!!

No comments:

Post a Comment