Friday, March 25, 2011

40 weeks and waiting...

So yesterday was a monumental day! By the time Jason and Kali picked me up to head to our midwife appointment, my email inbox was at ZERO! One of my work colleagues congratulated me, noting that maybe this is this decade's version of "nesting." While I hate to admit it, it clearly impacted my feelings of "readiness" for the upcoming transition!! I have had a hard time staying below 200 in my work inbox and so this did feel like a big accomplishment and one I only dreamed of achieving before Tadpole's arrival.

So since that time, I've moved from "just give me one more day" to EAGER!! We are attempting to make fun plans for our weekend that she can have some plans to disrupt. Today's very special activity was a leisurely (at the pregnant woman's and the 7-year old's pace) hike to the lake. It included Kali's almost constant cheerful chattering, lots of little explores on some new paths, multiple visits to streams along the way, a picnic lunch at the lake, and picking wild wintercress and digging some turnips we found an abundance of along the path. We didn't even take the jogger along so Kali walked all 4+ miles and seemed to have some energy to spare when we arrived back home. The fresh air was invigorating and it seemed well worth the time and physical energy used, even if it doesn't immediately bring on labor.

So I'm definitely feeling more ready than I have in recent weeks. Eager to welcome her, to slow life up and absorb all the special moments that will come our way as we get to know a new little person joining our family. The challenge in the coming days will definitely be to soak up the moments we have pre-birthing!

We have been having a lot of fun with Kali and have experience many moments of pure enjoyment of her. And we have taken more time for some family games together - before Jason and I find ourselves doing a lot of tag-teaming again. And we had a fun "breakfast for dinner" night the other evening in which Kali ate one pancake but gobbled 3 of the chicken sausage patties that were the partial results of Jason's most recent butchering. While she gobbled those, we savored our first sauteed wintercress. We are also enjoying eggs in abundance once again - including a VERY large double-yoker that Kali thought we needed a picture of.

Here's two more pictures of our day today (to make sure all four of us are photographed!):

No comments:

Post a Comment