Sunday, July 31, 2011

An end...and a beginning

I have just over an hour of maternity leave left. We spent the final week of my leave in wild, wonderful West Virginia. While it was not the best timing for leaving our homestead, it was in many ways the best timing (in that we couldn't see all the things begging for our attention since there were four mountains between us and Fruit Farm Lane). We enjoyed a mix of work and play, and I got a lot of naps throughout the week (if only you could bank them for when most needed). Mom and I enjoyed canning 32 quarts of ratatouille one day and freezing two large sacks of sweet corn on another. There were other small food processing adventures squeezed in here or there, and I enjoyed the luxury of canning with a speedy pro (Mom) who did more than her share of the work while I came in and out as Alida's needs allowed. I missed her today after our arrival home, when I attempted and was successful in doing a canner load each of beans and pickles to "get ahead" of things before the week gets underway.

I'm trying not to think (or feel?) too deeply about the dawning of tomorrow. These four months have been a gift, a huge gift. And I know we won't ever have a time quite like this - nor will Alida ever be a newborn again. I sometimes feel a bit panicky when I see how fast she is growing up. She is getting VERY interested in what the big people around her are putting in their mouths - to the point that we gave her tastes of banana and watermelon this week so she didn't feel completely excluded from the feasting. She is also allowing us to wash diapers less frequently - yes, that's right, our little gal enjoys going potty in the sink and big potty. She completely "gets it" and most of the time seems quite impressed and happy with herself.

Now to get some rest before tackling the catch up job ahead of me. Here's to hoping that the day will go well on the home front too. A few of my favorite shots of late are included below and show that Alida will clearly be in very good hands while I'm at work!

No comments:

Post a Comment