Saturday, June 9, 2012

A hodgepodge of things...

Alida has just recently sacked out for the night (yes, it seems we were wrong about her being an "early to bed gal") and Jason is occupying the shower so I'm waiting my turn and thought I'd try to quickly at least post the two videos I uploaded earlier this week.  I will not crawl under clean sheets without a shower!  For the first time in who knows how long, all the towels, sheets, clothing AND floors are clean.  I definitely have that "good tired" feeling.  And Kali, Alida and I even got a little kiddie pool time in (I am not sure how Alida is cuter - in an apron or in a swimsuit but we've enjoyed both this week).  Those pictures aren't downloaded yet, but as you can see in the two here, the girls are still enjoying each other and the littlest is doing her best to keep up with her big sister.

We are working hard to keep up with both of them. I'm not sure what Jason and I would be doing if our spinach, lettuce, lambs quarter and peas had done well this year!  I don't feel that there are many spare moments to be had around here lately and if we are honest both Jason and I have "had our moments" this week of feeling a bit overwhelmed by all the good stuff there is to attend to.  At this time last year I was fully recovered from birthing Alida and in the blissful month 3 of maternity leave.  We liked being home all day, every day together...

Despite our less than ideal crops, we are still enjoying a lot of things from the garden: swiss chard, green onions, beet greens, the last of the spinach and lettuce, Kali ate the last strawberry today, kale, some lambsquarter and wintercress, sugar snap peas, hull peas, and snow peas.  There would be some black raspberries to pick but we haven't gotten out for a meander recently to check the wood's edge.

It's been a full week and it started out with a very special day for all of us in West Virginia. It was the perfect place to be on the 4th anniversary of Nora's death. As much as we love home, we need more practice at just "being" when we are there.  We enjoyed 24 hours of just being together - hiking in the mountains, throwing frisbee, sitting by Nora's tree, sharing memories, looking at the beauty all around us (including each other).  It feels like a distant memory but the memories are sweet.

Here is Alida on her first hike up Senaca Rocks, saying my favorite word that she currently says:



Here she is at the top.  She was obsessed with figuring out the stairs and would stand up, turn all the way around and slowly back up - sometimes reaching the steps, sometimes missing it.  So, so cute:



Now for some sleep.  One of these days I'll carve out a window of time to put up a post that has a bit more substance to it.  There sure are plenty of thoughts swirling around about life of late.  But they are mostly still swirling!

No comments:

Post a Comment