Friday, October 19, 2012

Budding musicians and BIG news!

So I have clearly saved the best for last! 

The big news in our family is that Kali's ducks (at least one of them) have started laying eggs.  Kali was SO excited when Jason came in with a beautiful speckled egg last night.  Maybe that is why she woke early today as she could hardly go to bed because she was so eager to eat it for breakfast.  And eat it she did - all except for the little pieces she shared with Alida (which was not near enough to satisfy Alida's love of eggs so I got busy frying a boring old chicken egg for her).  Jason found another small duck egg today so she has/they have probably been laying for a few days (since he also found some broken shells) and Kali just wasn't in the habit of looking for eggs.  So the task for after lunch for Jason and Kali was to add a nest box to the coop and they are now off busily working on the new duck coop they have designed and started building recently.  I'm pretty excited myself to think about little ducklings next spring!  In the meantime, I have a feeling eggs will be a common breakfast food in this house.

I'll close with sharing three videos.  It's been awhile so I figured I'd go a little overboard on uploading some cute ones.  The first follows the egg theme as one of Alida's favorite activities of the day is collecting eggs with Daddy.  Mommy doesn't do it nearly as well since, okay I'll admit, I have a hard time bravely sticking my hand under our two broody hens to check.  They really look at me with an "I dare you" kind of look.  It reminds me of getting your finger pricked before donating blood. It really doesn't hurt much at all but the surprise factor is almost too much for me and only recently have I stopped jumping when they prick me!



And I couldn't resist sharing one of our littlest musician who seems to prefer practicing "nakey."  Both girls then gave me a concert this morning - great background music as I scurried around the kitchen.  Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment