Friday, October 19, 2012

My day so far...

...has been pretty fun, despite things breaking!

I have a hard time not going all out when we have folks coming to visit!  I love opening our home to people and enjoy hosting. It's a great excuse to do lots of baking and cooking, which I enjoy immensely.  It does get a bit tricky when I want to only turn the oven on once in the day and so I have Alida's naptime as my deadline for turning the oven off.  Both girls woke before 7 a.m. this morning so we got an early start on the day.  The following things are cooling and the things that have been taste tested by the family have been approved for consumption:

Carrot cake to enjoy in celebration Jason's brother's birthday (which is today!)
Rice pudding - my Grandma Myers' recipe and it looks "just right!"
Old fashioned raisin pecan cookies
Flax coconut "my man's" cookies
Green rolls to go with chicken barbecue that just needs to cook in the crockpot overnight tonight
Cheese crackers with sesame seeds on top (these were by far Alida's favorites)

I also chopped up the last of the peppers from the garden.  They were still ripening slowly but also starting to get a bit rubbery.  Other than a few shoots of broccoli and maybe a leaf or two of kale here and there, I think our 2012 garden season is coming to a close! I did make a batch of peppermint tea this morning too but its growth is also slowing down considerably.  We are still enjoying persimmons dropping from the tree, which Alida calls "simmies." 

And is is already time to start thinking of the next season.  This week Jason and Jonathan were able to get the garlic in the ground, planting both inside the garden fence and a new bed outside of it.  It was the first crop to work on as we look at doing some cooperative gardening together this next season.  Below you will see my little "helper" in the garden.  I've thoroughly enjoyed getting in on some of the fall garden cleanup - freeing trellises of pea vines, cutting up old tomato/pepper/okra/corn plants, putting away wire cages for the year, etc... I know by next spring I'll be eager to start the cycle all over again, but for now I'm enjoying this stage and do find that I like the change of seasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment