Thursday, December 13, 2012

Germs & Farmers Cheese

I know, the two things in the title hardly seem to go together, but they did in my day today.  It seems it is the time of year once again where we are battling germs almost nonstop.  I've been thankful that all of our bugs to date have been relatively minor.  Alida, however, wilted during the night last night.  I felt her feverish body and wondered what the day would bring.  It brought a pretty sad and tired gal with a bark-like cough that caused her to crumple into tears and to tug very strongly at my heart each time.  On the work front tomorrow ends the term so it is one of my busier weeks and I wasn't sure how clearing my schedule was going to go.  But after one attempt at transferring her sleeping from my arms to Jason's, it was clear where I wanted to and would be spending my day - at home!  If she would only know how much more relaxed Jason is around sick kiddos, she may have chosen his tender care, but for today I was the "chosen one" and glad that I was able to be with her.

Unlike the picture here that I just couldn't help but include (could she get any cuter?), Alida was pretty much on my chest either sleeping, cuddling or nursing until about 4:30 p.m. (I'm so very, very glad she still enjoys and can benefit from nursing when she doesn't feel like eating a thing).  She is currently benefiting from a little Ibuprofen and so is up and about toddling around and playing with Kali, still greatly disturbed anytime she needs to cough.  Poor little gal! 

This afternoon I found myself saying what my mom often would say to me to try to help me focus on the positive: "there is no great loss without some small gain."  I missed a number of things today that were unfortunate, but gained a few things too.  I loved all the cuddle time (she seldom is still long enough to cuddle unless she is sleeping0, and it enabled me to finish Barbara Kingsolver's newest novel, Flight Behavior (strongly recommend it!).  I also got to enjoy a walk with R, one of our housemates.  And, with Alida feeling a bit perkier, got to spend just a bit of time experimenting in the kitchen with my new book, Wild Fermentation - that's where the farmers cheese comes in!  Here was dinner:

It was actually slice-able - super easy (add vinegar to boiling whole milk, stir, strain and salt if desired! 
Please note that this is the remains of ONE sweet potato after we all enjoyed generous helpings.
Kali still "doesn't like" kale chips but there is always a very mysterious crunching sound whenever they are served.

No comments:

Post a Comment