Monday, December 3, 2012

Snuggle Love

One of the happiest moments of my life so far (Jason writing) happened this morning.  When I woke up, Alida was still sleeping, but Kali stirred and wondered where I was going (I usually keep her company in her bed).  Janelle had to get ready for work, so Kali and I curled up with Alida in the big bed and drifted off again.

After 45 minutes of intermittent dozing by Kali and I, Alida finally roused, gradually becoming aware of me, and then Kali.  She was happy to see us, and Kali wrapped her arms around Alida, who smiled and reciprocated.  They spent some minutes smiling and cuddling and enjoying the presence of each other, and Alida said, several times, "Suggle Yuv."  This translates as our family word for such times (usually with parents, not the other kid!), "Snuggle Love."

The friendship developing between these girls is so sweet and precious.  Kali genuinely cares for Alida and her needs, and seems to enjoy her involvement in toddler provision and minding the vast majority of the time.  She is really very patient with her, and despite the fact that Alida doesn't always enjoy all of her methods and that they sometimes have conflicts when their needs or desire conflict, Alida seems to admire Kali very much, saying and doing and consuming as much of what Kali does as her age, size, and awareness will allow.  Most of the time they are at ease and happy together, and they are very cute when they play soccer together!

I look forward to more of these moments, and it was especially heartening to see them enjoy waking up side by side, since one of our hopes is that before too much more time goes by (not to rush things) the girls might enjoy sharing at least a bedroom if not even a bed, such that Janelle and I get to occupy the other one TOGETHER again!

Note from Janelle:  Below are just a few of the many pictures taken today while I was at work.  Kali said I probably shouldn't look at them if I already feel like a particular little person is growing up too fast!  Is she really ready for a big kid swing?  And, also, please note that when the "boss" is around the chickens are pecking around the yard like good roosters!




No comments:

Post a Comment