Friday, April 12, 2013

News flash (or several!)

It is definitely one of those "how do we possibly keep up with our incredible life here on Fruit Farm Lane?" kind of times!

For starters, "my" mason bees are emerging from their cocoons. I got one very good look at a little male bee (very cute) this morning but none of the ones that have come out yet have posed for a picture! I've seen one fly away and I've seen one hanging around the little house for a bit.  I'm fretting over them just a tiny bit the way Jason is over "his" eggs when they are hatching (as I've been working on this blog he has looked in the incubator at least four times, talking to the little chickies that are due to hatch in about two days time - he has just pulled himself away to head back to weeding garlic).  I have a very long list of things I'd like to do today but I find myself heading for the front door on a very regular basis to peek on them!  Check out http://www.crownbees.com/ if you want to learn more about native bees!  Our peach trees are in full bloom so I'm hoping they are finding plenty of food.  Those blossoms are a sight to behold, and bring hope and eagerness for things to come!





And while we wait for peaches to come around, the season of fresh eating is upon us!  Our breakfast this morning consisted of wild onions and winter cress sauteed and then scrambled with duck and chicken eggs.  And soon after breakfast Jason came in with his hand behind his back.  For a moment, I thought I was about to be presented with a bouquet of flowers but instead is was our VERY FIRST bouquet of asparagus. Much better!




And on the kiddo front, there is not much that is sweeter than Alida's kisses these days!  She's been working on them for a number of days now, but her mastery of it was precipitated by a very funny moment for all of us.  We were at the tail end of a very LONG family meeting (several hours worth of deliberation on a number of agenda items). Alida was on my lap and I gave her a kiss right on the lips.  She did not reciprocate in the moment so I said, "Alida, give me a big smack."  Before I knew what had happened, her little hand came up and smacked me right on the cheek.  A moment of surprise and then we all burst out laughing and she looked a little perplexed!  She has heard the story enough times now to understand the meaning of "smack" in that context and has become quite the little kisser!  Here's her daddy receiving a nicer kind of smack!



Kali and Alida are enjoying each other immensely these days, except when they aren't!  Kali is a little perturbed at times right now but Alida's desire to do everything she does.  But the vast majority of the time, they love being together and we love watching them enjoy each other!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment