Tuesday, February 16, 2016

She did it - at least one of my 2016 predictions came true!

It's been a Benner tradition now for a number of years that at our holiday gathering at the end of the year we all make predictions about the coming year. I predicted that Alida would donate her hair this year.  As of February 13th, it came true!  She was showering Saturday (the one day/week currently that her hair gets clean) and somehow the subject came up and she decided she wanted to do it...and that very day!  It worked out conveniently that we were having a birthday celebration for my mom that evening and Aunt K would be joining (who cut my and Kali's hair when we donated).  She was up for the task once again.  Alida was so focused and serious as we got her hair parted in sections and braided and ready for the big cut. I will admit that I was a little concerned she might decide against it upon seeing how short it was going to be (I was having my own misgivings).  But she never swayed a bit.  I think she enjoyed (but might have even been a tad taken aback a bit) by all the attention she was getting by chopping a foot off her hair.  I got to watch the whole thing with Terah sacked out in my arms, and almost got a bit teary as I watched the transformation.  It's amazing how different she looks.  And how perfectly it fits her. Her hair is now as bouncy and spunky as she is.  And she loves it. She seems to particularly love jumping up and down and having her hair bounce along with her.  It's super cute!
And, speaking of firsts, look who tried out the high chair for the first time!  I haven't been brave enough to let her test any more foods since letting her suck on an apple sliver the other night and then having the worst night of sleep we had had in weeks.  So chewing on toys it is for a little bit longer:



Terah also got put to sleep by Grandma Myers for the first time the other day. Mom brought her grinder along so we could grind some wheat we had around (no food purchases in Lent will certainly help us be creative and use up what we have around!).  While we were at it, we did some cornmeal too.  Terah still enjoys the vibrations this makes, and was lulled to sleep (though Mom had to keep throwing some back in the hopper to keep grinding so as to not wake her by stopping).  I still would not call Terah a "good sleeper" but am happy to report that I think she gave me about a 6 hour block last night: if I fed her between 8:15 p.m .and 2:15 a.m. I do not remember it!

No comments:

Post a Comment