Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Blood drive and duckling update!

Kali's four ducklings are taking after all the growing things around here - they are doing it fast! As of this past weekend, she has been letting them out to range for a few minutes each day and it only took them one day to learn, via the adult ducks, where the pond is. Now they head straight there and my goodness what a good time they have. They seem right at home!  Hopefully, when not enthusiastically swimming around and dunking themselves and preening, they are eating mosquito larva! See for yourselves how big, cute and fun they are:



I find that it can go days where I don't get out and about much to really take in what is happening all over our property. Might be a good thing as when I do I experience a mixture of awe and a good dose of feeling overwhelmed at what needs to be done. Last evening when we got home from the blood drive, Jason was pretty wiped out from his platelet/plasma donation and so he hung out with Terah while I did the evening piggie feeding. I was eager to see them and got to marvel at their impressive growth. They were also happy to see me and were soon slurping their milk/whey evening snack with great pleasure. I took the camera with me and focused on the beautiful things growing all around - the yucca is in full bloom, the onion seed heads are looking quite perky, there are gooseberries to pick and our lettuce is just ridiculous!
The butterfly weed that always makes us think of Nora is also in it's prime right now. Perfect timing as we spent last remembering and honoring her with others at Virginia Blood Services. It was a very good thing I had donated a few weeks back, as Terah was not too keen on letting me out of her sight (or out of her reach)! I'm trying hard to embrace this last experience of being the most special, important, amazing person in the whole wide world to someone. If she didn't express her pure pleasure in being with me with bites and pulling my hair it would be easier to enjoy! She gave out lots of smiles and squawks for everyone during our several hours there. She also tried to eat the floor and the chairs and liked jumping on the donation chairs. She was also a big fan of the cheap crinkly sounding water bottles. For being in an odd place with lots of people for nearly three hours, she did quite well. And she slept good (for her) last night so she must have been tuckered out.
If I counted correctly, we had 12 successful whole blood donors and 2 for platelets. In addition, we had a great crew of cheerleaders and snack contributors, and I'm hoping we are attracting some future blood donors. It's really fun to see the group that gathers each time - always a little different with a few that have become our "regulars" and then new people joining each time. It's a very meaningful way to honor and remember Nora with others - some who knew her and many who we have gotten to know in the years since. So count on us doing it again come October!

No comments:

Post a Comment