Saturday, June 4, 2016

June 4 came around again

Well the weather is very fitting for this 8th anniversary of Nora's death. Soon after Nora died, a large thunderstorm made its way through Charlottesville.  On the first anniversary of her death, Jason and I went to Riven Rock park out 33 west and sat in a pavilion reading all the cards that had been sent to us. It was rainy that day. Today, all 5 of us made our way to the same spot. I enjoyed the storms. Alida was not so sure about them. The time there was not nearly as relaxing as when Jason and I went alone, and our brief hike down the trail ended with two of our three kiddos falling apart. However, when we first got there Terah and Alida had fallen asleep in the car and Jason joined them in slumber so Kali and I got to enjoy a few games together. When they woke, we all enjoyed a picnic lunch together - Terah even successfully swiped some sour dough bread when none of us were paying close enough attention - so we'll not only be adding grapes but also sourdough bread to her ever expanding food list! We didn't leave Riven Rock any too soon, as we drove through lots of standing water on our way back to Harrisonburg. But my spirits didn't feel dampened by it. I was grateful for some alone time earlier in the week during one of Terah's naps to be with the memories and emotions. Today I was glad to just be present to my family in this crazy, chaotic, unpredictable, fun, hard, and exciting season of our lives.
It's been a particularly crazy week, and for a number of reasons (some baby related and some due to other circumstances), Jason and I both found ourselves rather sleep deprived on the morning of this anniversary. Jason set out for soccer with the girls and Terah and I were joined by three of my close women friends (we gather quarterly for breakfast). Today felt like a precious time - a walk followed by a delicious potluck brunch and then we all went to donate blood together. I am so very grateful for these friendships that have supported and sustained me for many years now!

It has been almost 2 years since I was able to give successfully - low iron, veins not cooperating and my most recent pregnancy with Terah were all factors. The longer I don't give blood, the more I get nervous about it. But I was more nervous a week or so ago than I was this morning. I was actually surprised how relatively calm I felt. I also was really, really hoping to be able to give successfully again in honor of Nora and get back into the routine of giving as that had become a very meaningful ritual for me. I credit being surrounded by wonderful friends for both my calm and my success. It went great and I've been riding on a bit of post-donation-success euphoria since!

Terah wasn't all that pleased that she was not allowed to be in my arms from the time I was stuck until I was done donating. Even just my voice across the room set her off so she took a little jaunt outside with Virginia until I was needle free. She's a mama's girl these days, that's for sure! So I have not been heading the advice of not lifting heavy things for awhile after donating! She was also taken with the red bandage on my arm; one of the many distractions from nursing today!

So her new news is that at Riven Rock park she flung her head back (a common thing these days) and I noted that she sprouted a 5th tooth on the top that none of us had even noticed.  Maybe that was the cause of the two bad nights earlier this week?  So she sprouted one and Alida lost her first tooth!  She may not be thrilled right now that I am mentioning this here as she hasn't wanted folks to comment on her lost tooth (but I'm banking on her feeling differently years down the road when she wants to remember how old she was when she lost her first tooth). For the first hour after it came out, she was whining and bemoaning how it didn't feel good and she wanted it back in. Changes, changes!  Growing up is hard!!  She has since adjusted and is quite cute with her little hole in front. The other bottom middle is loose, so likely the gap will widen before too long.

The rain has stopped for now and the birds are singing! We won't be doing any outside work this evening, so I'm hankering for enjoying mugs of decaf coffee together.  The weeding will wait...even longer!

No comments:

Post a Comment