Monday, September 12, 2016

Kali's birthday present was for all of us!

As Kali's 13th birthday approached she really couldn't think of anything she wanted/needed. What a gal! I encouraged her to think of experiences she might enjoy and so she got a nice array of coupons, great for spreading out the celebrating. One of them was going hiking on new trails on the Massanutten mountain and yesterday she cashed it in. I was glad it was one of the ones she hoped she might do with our family, as I didn't want to miss out. It was a lovely evening and we spent over 3 hours out there, getting back right at dusk. Terah enjoyed a lot of it awake and got a snooze, which aided in her enjoying the awake parts. Kali had a grand time directing us at every intersection and Alida did an amazing job following Kali's lead and making it the whole way on her own two feet. I hope more hiking is in our future this fall! 
This butterfly caught my eye on our way down the lane! 
I didn't provide the first snack - autumn olive berries along the trail.
I loved all the rotting wood and holes and wondering who lived in all of those spaces.
Lots of beautiful alive trees too!
I was so proud when Alida said, "I'm limiting myself to taking 3 things home." Before I could comment, she was deliberating on a forth beautiful leaf. By the time we were nearing home both hands were full of treasures...
Jason also brought home some treasures - soil from around wild blueberry plants to hopefully inoculate the soil around our new blueberry planting!
She graciously didn't make us follow her up and over the tree - she tried to climb about any one that looked even remotely possible.
We found two little buildings.
This one was definitely a chicken coop.
This silly gal seemed to enjoy riding upside down more than right side up when awake!
Terah was happy for a break from the pack and time to play in the leaves...
AND eat a snack!
At this point, I exclaimed again how amazing it is that we can hike to views like this from our doorstep!

No comments:

Post a Comment