Friday, April 21, 2017

First cheddar cheese, last seed popcorn, new pigs, old friends...

Ok, this will be super quick as I need to sleep when the baby is sleeping! But want to note a few first and lasts before this "scrapbook" is too outdated. So much happens in spring it seems - exciting time to live at Tangly Woods! And I'm getting closer to shouting it from the rooftops: Terah is sleeping better! And I, as I texted Jason this week, kind of feel like I'm coming out of an 18 month stupor. I feel like I'm enjoying my relationship with Terah more as I am getting a few longer blocks of sleep at night and her afternoon naps are also now happening on our bed by herself and she is sleeping great for those too. Some switch got flipped somewhere and I sure hope it doesn't get flipped back!

So a few visuals of fun things from the past week:
I learned to make bread in an outdoor fire with our Kurdish neighbors! Very fun process...Makes me eager for our pizza oven. 
I finally took the plunge. Here's my first attempt at cheddar cheese underway (or should I say "underwhey"

Draining the curds...

More draining....

Then we had to get creative as we were to press it under 10, then 20, then 30, then 40 and then 50 lbs. We have yet to invest in any kind of cheese press!
Here it is waiting to be waxed and then to sit for a month before we try it. But the first sprigs of asparagus don't have to age before we consume them! Eager for more of those as the season is just starting.

We did our very last taste testing of popcorn for seed this week and so we are ready for corn planting! And now we can just start in on our good supply for eating popcorn.

So our littlest is getting into the nighttime story routine. Maybe Jason better get on building that third bunkbed in the girls' room?! She is so cute snuggling up for stories - but when she really gets sleepy she usually calls for mommy!
These two: they are either completely in love with each other or picking on each other - it's definitely a two way street (the love and picking).
Pigs 1, 2, and 3 arrived today! And while they didn't like it when Jason picked them up, as soon as he put them in their new enclosure they started munching on grass contentedly.


Another minute or two and they started rooting. In no time the one had made a little trough area...

And laid down in the cool dirt. I am so happy to have pigs again!

Terah was scared of them initially and then discovered she can climb their fence and then she didn't want to leave.

And finally a photo from our evening - our supper club gathered and we actually got a picture (in honor of our former housemade who gets married tomorrow)! But we should photograph this bunch more often - the adults are now outnumbered 11 to 8 and the kiddos are growing and changing so fast! 
Ok, now to bed I go! It's a soccer morning tomorrow, with rain supposed to start overnight and into tomorrow, the next day and the next day. Seems we are likely to have a bit of a weeding break, which is not really what I'm wanting as I'm in the weeding mode and ready to keep on it!

No comments:

Post a Comment