Friday, May 12, 2017

Kali's Dutch Hookbill ducklings!

The subject of this blog post gives away the most exciting news from Tangly Woods today. But lest I get ahead of myself, here's a few fun tidbits from last evening. There's no doubt that the person most excited to have a little cousin down the road right now is Terah. She is completely smitten with baby Ivy, who she refers to as "I I." There's almost no better guarantee of happiness than to tell Terah that baby Ivy is coming over or that she is going to get to play with or hold Ivy or that we can look at some pictures or videos of Ivy. It's really sweet as she also obviously remembers times with Ivy. This morning when I got applesauce out of the fridge to use for making our brunch, she said, "I I." She was reminding me that that Ivy had eaten applesauce when she was here for dinner last evening!


Terah has more or less "graduated" from her high chair so the cousins got to sit next to each other last evening. Here's them enjoying dinner side by side, and then also one of Terah's enthusiasm holding Ivy. Ivy was getting pretty tired and was rubbing her eyes, but is still so amazingly patient with her cousin loving on her!



So today's news! We had gotten an email on Wednesday that Kali's ducklings had shipped. So yesterday morning we called our local post office to let them know they might get a peeping box for us. We were unclear if we'd get the call yesterday or today so when yesterday came to a close without a call, we knew today would be the day! I didn't necessarily have that in mind when I got up this morning and got multiple projects underway!
I was taking advantage of my normal morning burst in the kitchen. I had a squash roasting in the oven and some persimmon, applesauce, chocolate bread about ready for the oven, as well as a spinach, ricotta, bacon, egg bake. Just as I was about to put the finishing touches on all of that my phone rang! Sure enough the Penn Laird post office was informing us that the box of ducklings was there and ready for pick up. Sometimes I wonder if Kali has the ability to get ready for anything quickly. Well, she was out of her bed and ready to head out the door before I could put the breakfast in the oven and grab my keys. Nothing like ducklings awaiting pick up to get her moving!
The excitement in the car was palpable on our 10 minute or so drive to the post office. Before long the little box of peeping ducklings was in the car with us headed home. They were clearly ready for water and food as soon as we got them out of the box and into the kiddie swimming pool. They are the background noise for me as I type; that and the two younger girls playing in the bathtub! Kali got them settled in and then we headed down to enjoy our own breakfast - which we were all ready for by this time! Fun times ahead! This is a new breed Kali is trying out, hoping to introduce more broodiness into her flock. There's almost nothing I enjoy watching more than a mama hen brooding chicks, but I have a feeling a mama duck with ducklings would be equally thrilling! I love any excuse right now to spend a few minutes in the compost coop. It's like a little world all of it's own. There are grown chickens, a mama hen with half grown chicks that still try to nestle up to her at bedtime, a mama hen brooding OVER 30 chicks, a mama with 6 brand new chicks, and there there are 3 hens in the broody pens sitting tight who will be hatching chicks in the coming weeks. So much new life!

Here's a few more of the ducklings to enjoy, as well as a short video at the end:

No comments:

Post a Comment