Saturday, September 30, 2017

Our kind of birthday presents!

Last day of September! It's a cool morning and I'll don my "soccer mom's cap" here soon. Before the rush lead up to heading out the door - waking kids, doing hair, getting breakfast in them and them into their soccer clothes - I thought I'd put a few pictures out there from Jason's birthday and the tail end of mine and mention two of the best birthday presents Jason received.

As alluded to in the previous post, I enjoyed getting to see one of my birthday buddies on my birthday. The only two babies I've been with at their births other than my own daughters both came on my birthday. Pretty special I'd say (but I'm very happy to be with other mother's giving birth at a time other than my birthday!).

It was a late night - I think I almost was able to wish Jason happy birthday before going to bed. And, as it normally does, my mind had quickly shifted to the celebrations of the coming day, which I was looking forward to facilitating and being a part of!
The first tasks of the day were to crank out some pie crusts and make a funny cake for breakfast (not a bit of leftovers from that one) and 3 grape pies (all from our very own grape vines) in lieu of a birthday cake for the evening festivities! The crumbs were largely made of ground sorghum and it worked (no sugar but some dehydrated pecans for a little crunch - enjoying a piece now for breakfast as I type!). After my morning (large) burst of chopping vegetables (had a 21 quart canning brimming with chili), I got in on a little outdoor family fun. It was sweet potato digging time! With a sub 40 degree night in the forecast it was time to get them out of the ground - we don't risk much when it comes to sweet potatoes! About 7 bushels of sweet potatoes is a pretty special birthday present! We picked all our remaining peppers since the sweet potatoes formed their understory. So fermenting some green peppers is in my future.

All throughout the day while we were moving rather quickly to get the potatoes in and other things done to be ready for Jason's party, there was peeping in the house. Jason's first round of chicks for his large Shenandoah hens order was hatching. And what a hatch! As of this morning there are 6 hatched under a mama hen and 34 in the house. One more looks very likely to get out (2 others less promising). So it might just mean that for Jason's 41st birthday, 41 chicks hatched. I think that's fun! Jason hasn't had much time to ogle them just yet but we had a little holding and admiring session late last night before calling it a day!

In the evening Jason was joined by a dozen plus friends for some work, some food and some play! He has been itching to get the rocks for seating and play placed in Nora's garden before her 10th birthday (a month from today) and it seemed like a good occasion to use the extra muscles around to collect a bunch. They not only lined her garden with selections for him to choose from, they even got to largest set in place and it's a lovely two-seater. How special!

They came in about dusk for a haystacks meal (and the aforementioned grape pie) along with lively conversation. Then those that could linger got in on some equally lively (or more so) ping pong playing. Once the guests cleared out it was time for Terah to get to enjoy her promised chick adoring session before she sacked out easily and quickly nursing!

Ok, time to wake the littlest (the soccer players are up - but still snuggling in bed together), and get this show on the road. I'll just end quickly with a little Terah tidbit. For as much as I note that this gal is our wild child and wearing her mother out, she is also a pile of fun! She is so spunky and full of crazy ideas. One of those seems to be that she loves putting things in her shirt. Here she was loading her front up with lots and lots of blocks. She also does it with markers with the lids off. Sigh! The other fun thing we are really enjoying is her language acquisition and her curiosity about everything around her. When she sees something that she doesn't know what it is, she will bring it to me or point to it and say, "What dat name mama?" I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment