Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Blood drive; who would have known it could be so fun!

What special memories are created through an evening like last night!  I arrived at Virginia Blood Services, with one of my colleagues who was donating with us, about 40 minutes into the blood drive due to every road (it seemed) in Harrisonburg being tied up with traffic.  We learned upon arrival that it was due to a major accident on 81.  The accident ended up delaying others and kept at least one donor away.  That, some last minute forgetfulness, and of course the germs floating around kept a handful more away.  But there were a dozen of us who donated and a great cheerleading squad (a few quiet adults and a bunch of rowdy kids that were thrilled with the array of snacks provided).  Whenever I give blood I think about the seeds my dad planted taking me along with him when he donated when I was little. I don't remember much other than being treated special and getting snacks.  At the time, I was quite certain it was never something I would do!  So I was thrilled to have a bunch of kids there having a grand time.  Hopefully, at least a number of them, will be inspired to donate once they are old enough to do so.

It's always particularly exciting to have new donors join us - we had at least 2 last evening, along with some who had not given for a long time.  One of the highlights for me was finally meeting someone who had only been a "virtual friend" for years due to our shared history of both having had to say goodbye to a baby daughter.  While there is nothing wrong with connecting by email and facebook, there is nothing like a real human hug and an in person connection!  And how special to do that at the blood drive...

The highlight of the evening for me was the deciding moment where my hemoglobin was checked.  It had been months since I had been able to give due to low iron. I had been religiously doing everything I could think of to get it up and was hopeful that I had succeeded.  When the machine beeped the nurse said, "you won't believe this."  Not only had I gotten it above the 12.5 threshhold, I was all the way up to 14.2 - plenty to spare!  I told her that I wanted to open the door and shout that I was eligible to give!  She said, "go for it" so I did!

I had felt more nervous about it during the day that I had previously because I was out of practice and I was apprehensive that I would be turned away again (yes, I guess that means that I nervous about doing it and nervous that I wouldn't be able to).  Things that involve needles become much bigger in my head than they need to be.  And over time they only get bigger.  So I'm glad to be back on track and in tune with the reality that it is such a very minor discomfort for something that can hopefully be very helpful to someone else.  And to once again feel the little flood of satisfaction with it going well and with this very small ritual that connects me to Nora and our journey with her in a special way.

Last evening was unique in that only a small percentage of those that joined us ever knew Nora.  Most have become friends of ours since that time or we have reconnected since that time and our lives have intersected in meaningful ways.  It feels like the circle has widened of those who have been impacted by the short time that Nora spent with our family and that means a great deal to me.  I enjoy the opportunities events like last night give me to talk about her.  I don't want the memories to fade, but it seems inevitable that many do over time.  Sharing the stories is one way to keep those memories alive!

No comments:

Post a Comment