Monday, March 17, 2014

Chicks in three weeks...and another snowstorm!

For the first time ever, I got my full work day in here at home.  I was able to work 9 hours (a very productive 9 hours I must say) in my pajamas, in our recliner, tucked under a blanket, looking out our big picture window.  Not complaining!  I even got in some games of mastermind, reading stories with Alida, and some other family breaks - ending the day with a snow walk down the lane and a delicious crockpot dinner made by Jason.  I felt bad for the cardinal I spotted at the bird feeder in search of food - it's been on our to do list to take the feeder down since we went through our 50 lb bag of sunflower seeds (our allotment for the year).

As you might be able to tell, I'm trying to see all the positives in the most recent dumping of snow! It really is pretty, but it is St. Patrick's Day and there is not much green visible outside. This year more than any previous one, Jason and I planned out our big gardening weekends ahead of time. This coming weekend is dubbed the big "spring planting" one.  Hmmm, that is seeming doubtful! Tomorrow was to be ground preparation for peas, but we can't get to the ground to do anything with it.  So we'll see if peas, kale, spinach, lettuce, chard, cilantro, etc... get in the ground around the first day of spring. Right now my vote is for us needing to adjust our schedule.  For now we are focusing on what we can do inside.  As of today we've got our sweet potatoes started and more wheat grass sown and are tending to the little seedlings poking out of the ground (the first peppers have emerged!).  There is much to be grateful for, including the snow which Alida has reminded us repeatedly that she is NOT tired of!  Kali, of all people, was heating water to pour on the snow to melt it...

We enjoyed a fun weekend in D.C. with the snow starting when we were about an hour from home. The previous day Kali was walking around the city in short sleeves with a sun hat.  We took in the Museum of Natural History, the American Indian Museum, the United States Botanic Garden, and the Hirshhorn Art Museum, and Alida would like me to add that she and Kali road the carousel on the mall on our way back to our car to head home.  We were hosted royally by Jason's aunt and uncle and I enjoyed crashing on their couch both evenings, falling asleep to the sound of fun all around me and no responsibilities to think about.  Jason and I are both disoriented and quickly exhausted by time in the city, so going in with folks who knew their way around was super helpful - but we were still quite ready for Keezletown!  It felt so very good to be home, and I didn't even feel annoyed when I heard Cookie Dough and Oreo bleating as we unloaded the car - and that is definitely unusual!

So here we are, with 8 plus inches of new snow and eggs freshly placed in the incubator today.  So the hope of baby chicks set to arrive 3 weeks  from today is in the air.  Alida was running around peeping and talking about how she is going to catch and hold one.  Could be an interesting time brooding them indoors this year...

No comments:

Post a Comment