Wednesday, January 10, 2024

The rest of the holidays and kicking off the New Year!

Earlier in December at a family meeting we had created a list of holiday/winter activities we hoped to do together. We have yet to make it through everything - ice skating is still in our future - but we made some good memories with what we have been able to do to date. It was a big relief to me to be able to share the load of holiday prepping with others in the family - Kali, especially, rose to the occasion and researched a Christmas movie for us to watch, took her sisters Christmas shopping, and was willing to take the lead on the gingerbread cookie project. Phew!!

I feel like the gingerbread project nearly deserves a post of its own. Had I been in charge, we would have made and decorated some cookies. Not so with Kali, Alida and Terah. In the end we had a mock up of the pavilion we hope to begin constructing in 2024 and Terah made a possible design for the little retirement cabin in the woods that Jason and I dream of building one day.  The girls' creativity knows no bounds. Kali took Jason's plans, scaled them down and made a cardboard model first that was then used to cut out the cookies. It felt kinda like a miracle to me, but one that took parts of 5 or so days to bring to fruition. We have yet to break into either one to eat, but there are only two gingerbread cookies left so the cabin and pavilion may soon be desired snacks. We'll see. It was surprisingly helpful for me to see a 3d (albeit much smaller) version of the pavilion to better envision what we are planning to build. The pavilion was complete with little bats for mosquito prevention (since this pavilion wasn't screened) and then cornstalks drying in the upper room (made of pretzels and candy corn) and real fennel hanging from the ceiling. All around amazing!!
I decorated one cookie and then I had had my fill and was back on the couch to finish my romance novel! I am getting just a tiny bit better at knowing what I like!
A few other things from our days of trying to accomplish less and just be together more! I made homemade butterfingers for the first, but not the last, time. YUM!
Jason, Kali and I donated blood together the day after Christmas. It only took 2 sticks and 4 iron tests for them to get one where I passed and was able to donate! 
I introduced the kids to finger jello!
We played a new (old) game. Another recommendation from one of my former doula families. 
Jason and I ceremonially (ok, we just did it at the same time and without much fanfare) removed our wedding rings. Don't worry, we are still very happily partnered to each other, but will be marking our 25th anniversary with something new this spring. Stay tuned!!
We did take advantage of the slightly slower pace to do one project I asked that we do for a Christmas present - washing our front windows!! We removed many many bug gifts from them!
We met up with Emily, Jonas and Ivy at the "blue and yellow park" for some bike riding and walking.
We kicked off the New Year with a visit from a handful of extended relatives - we stayed warm (enough) around the fire or by the youngest generation playing soccer.
I got to accompany my first family at August Health in birthing their little one. So grateful for the baby's safe arrival and the good health of everyone! That said it was a long haul and I got to see a few cycles of daylight and the nighttime views. Even after missing two nights of sleep, I love it so much!
This past weekend we were to get 9+ inches of snow - Mom was eager for Virginia to deliver on the snow prediction. We woke to RAIN... But it did not deter us from having a T.W. sleepover with Jonathan, Christen and Luca. No sledding but we played games and took in the gorgeous ice views from the coziness of the woodstove!
The other day Jason said he was ready to get things rolling (I think he might have said something like "hit things hard" but I can't exactly remember). Either way, we had a good planning session and have a loose plan for where our focus will be needed in the coming weeks. The list feels daunting but we're gonna try to keep perspective!

Speaking of perspective, I enjoyed this photo that I found when removing pictures from Jason's phone. Kali's working around the farm several times a week and it's been a huge help - she and Jason were pruning the various species in the welcome garden on their last work stint together!
Well, this little guy is starting to get more wiggly on my front. So I think that means my two handed typing time will soon be coming to an end! Instead it will be baby play time, which I'm not at all upset about!

No comments:

Post a Comment