Friday, March 4, 2011

Full term...

Today marks entering our 38th week of pregnancy - we are now officially "full-term" (which is when labor was induced with Nora). So it is a new time, an exciting time, a time of much anticipation and also us telling Tadpole to stay comfy inside just awhile longer!!

As I type, Jason is working on the trim in our bedroom. We are close! And the "move in date" is scheduled for next Wednesday. So hopefully by the end of next week we'll be back in our bedroom and I can let the full force of my nesting instinct kick in.

In the meantime, we are doing plenty of fun things (and more mundane tasks) to get ready for this little one's arrival. Here's a run down of just a few that come to mind:

- Kali and I are going for walks whenever possible. I need/want to keep moving! And it seems it does both Kali and I a world of good to soak in the fresh air. I find myself taking in the beauty around me and storing up images that I hope will come back to me as I labor to birth our third daughter.

- Today was a day of a lot of baking and a good portion of that baking is going in the freezer - time to stock up for days where I won't have two free hands for hours on end. It was a yogurt and butter-making day, and we also made fresh "green" rolls to go with venison burgers for dinner, pumpkin muffins for an afternoon snack and the upcoming church potluck and a chocolate "birthday-to-be" cake for tomorrow's festivities.

- I've been surrounded by wonderful women for two "blessingways" in the past several weeks. The words, songs, pampering and other gestures of support have been a source of strength and encouragement as I anticipate the upcoming transition - and I have a tangible reminder of each by way of colored strings tied around each of my ankles - which the women in each gathering also placed on their wrist or ankle and will leave there until Tadpole's birth.

- Today I redeemed a coupon given at the most recent blessingway. A friend joined Kali and I this morning to do "henna tattoos." So Tadpole has two flowers on her and my feet are adorned with a butterfly and a tadpole (Kali and I have matching tadpoles which I am especially happy about!). It was a fun ritual, though Tadpole made doing her flowers slightly more challenging as she was a moving canvas.

- We are down to weekly midwife appointments now. Our last Centering group will be this coming Tuesday. Kali got to join us for our most recent appointment. We continue to feel so grateful for how well Tadpole seems to be doing - in growth, activity level, etc... I'm measuring "right on" and she is clearly gaining strength as some of her movements have moved from pleasant and enjoyable to slightly uncomfortable (though it's a discomfort I'm pretty okay experiencing for a few more weeks and one I'll miss greatly a couple of months from now...)

- We are slowly reclaiming borrowed baby items, picking up some additional things (especially outfits with frogs on them if/when they are to be found) at thrift stores, and we have made, as of today, an appointment at the fire department to get our new car seat installed properly next week. We still have a list of things to do before the baby arrives, but the list of "absolute musts" is shortening! And it is good to remind ourselves now and then that we already have what is most needed - lots of arms ready to hold her and hearts that are eager to embrace her entrance into our family!

- I'm attempting to be ready to be on maternity leave. I'm ready for the being at home part of it, but there is still much to do on the work front to prepare for being absent for several months. I'm grateful to have someone filling in for me and look forward to time to focus on family life, and especially integrating Tadpole fully into our family.

- Kali seems to be completely ready! But we also know this will be a big transition for her. So today has been a day full of preparing for a "big sister baby shower" that we will be having tomorrow with some of Kali's friends. I'm grateful for a friend's generous offer to co-host it with me, as I think my current energy level would not have withstood doing it alone! A report on the party will have to come later, but I can say that the anticipation and excitement is building in our household this evening (and Kali keeps coming up with more ideas of games we could play).

There are of course the daily tasks to keep up with. And I'm realizing that it is about time to tackle the pile of sun-dried laundry on our bed, including fresh sheets that need to be on the bed before I can crawl in.

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment