Sunday, April 6, 2014

What a hike!!

Thankfully my fingers are not feeling as weary as my legs, so I think I can still get a few thoughts jotted down tonight!  Alida was plum tuckered out this evening after our big day and fell asleep while I was holding her just now - she was waiting patiently for us to candle eggs and we didn't finish a conversation with our housemates in time.  So she is where the rest of us hope to be as soon as possible!

We got an invitation a few weeks back to hike to Massanutten peak, something we have been wanting to do for a really long time.  A friend of Emily and Jonas' grew up at the base of the mountain and we were being invited to hike up the trail they use to the top.  Seemed like a fabulous opportunity!  We weren't sure how it would be with kiddos along but were told it was about a 2.5 hour hike.

Today was the day!  We headed out around noon with Kali on her bike, Alida in the jogger and the rest of us on foot to Emily and Jonas' home where we were to meet up.  Their home is exactly 2 miles from our home and then their friend's home was about 1 mile from that.  By the time we started the hike, we had already traveled 3 miles.  That was the flattest of the walking we did, that's for sure!! But every step was so very worth it!  The picture here is from Mountain Valley Road and our final destination is the farther peak to the right - I'm kind of glad Jason didn't point that out to me on our walk into town as I was not honestly sure what our final destination was until we got there. I knew the top, but now looking back on the day's adventures I'm kind of glad starting out I didn't know quite how far our legs would take us (we figure 10 miles plus).  Jason gets the medal, as he carried Alida on his back all the way up Massanutten mountain!  I carried her some of the way back down and that was plenty for me.  I think we will all be feeling some underused muscles tomorrow and I'll be going to bed tonight with that good tired feeling all over!  Alida did hike a good portion of the way down the mountain because all the leaves were super slippery under foot and we were worried about falling with her in the pack.  As it turned out, some of us found that sliding down the mountain worked better than anything!  Listen closely for a little giggle:



What I'm still getting over is the fact that we did this hike from our home without setting foot in a car. A true Sabbath for us!  Here's some more pictures and then I'm getting horizontal!

Kali was incredible - she rode her bike 2 miles, hiked 6 or more and then rode her bike home 2 miles and we could hardly keep up with her. I didn't hear one "I'm tired" the whole way.  BUT she also did not complain a bit getting ready for bed and Jason and I are still up and she didn't do her normal arguing about going to bed before us - I haven't heard a peep out of her so my guess is she is sound asleep!
At our final destination - pictures really don't do it justice!
Enjoying an apple cookie and some pumpkin seeds at the top. She was quite perky, having gotten a ride all the way up AND a nap!
 
Yes, Jason is holding Kali's ankle!
We were able to see Emily and Jonas' home from up there. How fun!
We are extra smiley here since Alida has become a fan of turning away from the camera and not letting us get her face in the picture.  So we had several people entertaining us during this photo shoot (including showing off their belly buttons)!
The whole hiking crew!

See the turkey vulture soaring?  They were having a grand time up there...  Quite understandable, as we found it to be a fairly magnificent place to be too!

1 comment: