Friday, May 2, 2014

Don't need computers or TV to have a real good time!

My post from last night was done in a hurry since the bedtime routine was underway, so it's not surprising that there were a few things I wanted to include that I omitted.

We are enjoying another beautiful spring day and I just returned from a long walk with a friend, during which Alida fell sleep and is now sacked out on my lap!  After three solid days of rainy weather, the sun has been so wonderful.  But the rain was nice too and contributed to the fact that it feels like we can almost watch the peas grow. Tuesday was one of the rainy days and Jason picked a huge vat of spinach in the rain and then, since there wasn't much else he could do outside, he joined me inside and processed all the spinach by himself. At one point, Alida and Jason were jamming to a kid's CD in the back kitchen and Kali was deep in a book in the front room and I felt like I was smiling from the inside out with the pleasure of a rainy day all at home together. I took a short video, which Jason has yet to see and didn't know I had taken, and liked the lyrics caught in the video (the title of this post comes from the song).



I also took a little video of the double rainbow mentioned in the last post, since I couldn't fit it all into a picture.  



I couldn't resist taking this picture!  I'm not sure how many egg hunts have taken place in the time surrounding and since Easter, but probably more than I could count on my fingers.  Alida and Kali hide them for each other (full or empty) and really don't seem overly impressed with the things in the eggs anymore.  Alida will empty the contents of an egg out in the morning and it will stay wherever she deposited it all day (unless I get on a straightening binge and put it back into the egg).  It looks like the smarties that I used that remained from last Easter might make it to go into eggs again next Easter. On one of the outdoor hunts, Jason's daily egg hunt coincided with the girls ending theirs.  I'm way more impressed with what is in Jason's basket!  We continue to average 18-19 eggs a day and that doesn't count the 3-4 duck eggs Kali is getting. While it would not meet all our nutritional needs over the long haul, we could subsist on eggs and spinach and stinging nettles for quite awhile with the abundant supply of each of those that we are enjoying, and able to share with others!

Speaking of abundance, I love all the plants that are doing their amazing thing - both inside and out:
Tomatoes, peppers, basil, sweet potato slips...
The strawberry blossoms are making our mouths water!  We've got one bag left in the freezer to enjoy in the coming weeks but there is nothing like fresh sun ripened and warmed berries!
Alida was snacking on one of these on our way to the garden.  She knows a lot more about what plants are edible outside than I did when I was 30!
Peas!
Lots of new spinach coming on, alongside lettuce and other mixed greens.
And, last but not least, my little helper and chatterbox!  While I picked spinach today she was picking weeds for the chickens, and they were happy for her contributions to their coop.

No comments:

Post a Comment