Monday, November 7, 2016

Blood drive in honor of Nora and Robert!

We just landed home from another blood drive! I'll finish putting things away later and make the most of the few minutes that Jason has the youngest gal otherwise occupied! I'll admit that I don't get much time to reflect at these drives - on Nora and her time with us or about much else for that matter. It's more or less a complete zoo most of the time that we are there - since we have as large a cheering squad as we have blood donors. So it's more when I download pictures and reflect on the evening that I carve out a little space to feel gratitude for the time gathered and for how meaningful it continues to be for me to join with others to do something positive in her memory. It really does feel like a happy party!


I've started to build relationships with some of the staff there. I like that they seem to like when we come. I sometimes worry that our crowd is a little high on the chaos for a place like that but one of the longer term staff members was talking to the new person about our crew this evening. He noted to her how much they like when we come; that we are always positive and enjoying chatting and generally low key. I didn't consider us very "low key" but he said some groups come in and are very high strung and want them to get them in and out of there as quick as possible. Since folks are happy to see each other at ours, they often linger long after being done (or just come to hang out and eat good snacks!).

For the actual stats on tonight I think our totals were:

10 whole blood donations
2 platelet donations
5 last minute cancellations or persons not able to give but still hung out!
1 reschedule for next week
5 snack donors
13 little people cheerleaders
6 big people cheerleaders

We are grateful for all of those present in any way! Each person made the evening what it was and for that we are thankful.

As I was reflecting on the evening I found myself thinking again of the poem by Dawna Markova that became so meaningful to my mom during her journey with cancer. I think of it too when I think about Nora's short life with us and as we grieve our neighbor Robert's death. Tonight's blood drive for me was as much about honoring his life, ended so recently (and from our vantage point, too early). Neither of them died an unlived life and both of their lives continue to bear fruit.

I will not die an unlived life 
I will not live in fear 
of falling or catching fire. 
I choose to inhabit my days, 
to allow my living to open me, 
to make me less afraid, 
more accessible, 
to loosen my heart 
until it becomes a wing, 
a torch, a promise. 
I choose to risk my significance; 
to live so that which came to me as seed 
goes to the next as blossom 
and that which came to me as blossom, 
goes on as fruit. 

Obviously Robert's death feels much fresher on our minds and hearts than losing Nora. I'm still finding it hard at this point to grasp that he won't be in the circle in our home tomorrow when we host our neighborhood potluck. There will be plenty of reminders of him in our home and lives. He gifted us with his interest and knowledge in many areas - from mushrooms to amaryllis to kiwi to computers. But most of all, I feel like talking with him and observing his life I got to witness someone living fully without regrets and without bitterness or resentment towards life dealing him the cards he got. He would often says things like, "I've had a good life and when it's time to die I'm ready." I hope I get there before my time...

I was very happy tonight to be able to again give successfully at a blood drive (I've come a few times with other friends not on drive nights and have had one good donation and one rocky one that I just squeaked by). It had been awhile since I decided to add donating to watching kiddos, visiting with folks, taking pictures and trying to be a good host/resource person. For some reason I felt more calm and less nervous tonight - maybe the baker's dozen of little cheerleaders was a very successful distraction! It was also that I asked to have the woman stick me who had done it the first time I was successful following Terah's birth. She was just as good tonight as she was the first time! AND I learned in talking with her tonight that she shares Nora's birthday of October 30th. I think that's sweet!

So time to give the family some attention. I took a Circle Processes class this weekend so don't feel like I've had much time at home with Jason and the girls. I'm glad for a day at home tomorrow, which will start with jogging to our polling location to vote with Jason. Here's hoping that some of the good energy in Virginia Blood Services tonight will permeate all corners of our country tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment