Wednesday, December 2, 2020

Special family get together in the time of Covid

Alida: So we were quarantining for Kali to go to Pittsburgh and I was not really wanting to because I was not wanting to quarantine and I didn't want Kali to go to Pittsburgh. Emily and Jonas had also been quarantining for other family to come and then they didn't end up coming. So we figured out that we had both been quarantining and so we got together for Thanksgiving day, or what we thought was just for Thanksgiving day.

Terah: Well, then, we got together in Emily, Jonas and Ivy's house (no masks) so we got to hug too. And we got to do a sleepover. But it wasn't only one sleepover. It was a double sleepover. So, then, we got to play two (or three) days. So it was really fun and we got to play a lot. But some of that time me and Ivy sometimes didn't get along well so then we just worked it out and kept on playing. And, so, that's all I have to say.

Alida: Mommy, Daddy, Terah, Tala and I went on Thanksgiving Day. And then neither us or Emily, Jonas and Ivy wanted us to leave. So Mommy, Daddy and Tala went home but we stayed for a sleepover, what we thought was a sleepover. Turned out the next day we also didn't want to leave again and then we got on a phone call with mommy and it transpired that we stayed for a double sleepover. 

Terah: I felt a little nervous when we were in the house the first day because to be interacting normally with somebody, because I haven't for a long time and I was worried for Covid. So I was just scared. But I loved, I LOVED, and I thought it was funny when Ivy was my little shadow. I liked that we could have a little talk together at dinner because it was a very special thing (it was a little table we had to ourselves). It was really, really, really, really, really, really fun.

Alida: When we got there I was a little bit nervous but I easily got back into it. We were planning to invent "turkey ball" but that turned out to be inventing 2 games: Turkey Ball and Turkey Toss. Turkey Ball we invented that day and played it Thanskgiving Day. Turkey Toss we didn't end up completing until the next day. Turkey Ball we played by using furry balls, what looked like bunny tails, and hiding them in magnatile buildings. Then everybody who was playing would try to find them (there were two) and when they would find one they would show it to the score keeper and then go and re-hide it in another building. Turkey Toss, which we invented the next day, included two drawn turkeys and two people. You would use basically any ball and toss it back and forth trying to hit the other person's turkey. Whoever got to 5 first would win the first round. Then that person would go up to 6 and so on (to 10). When they were going to try to get 10 hits on the turkey, if they did they would win. If they didn't, the other person would go up and they would stay. 

Terah: Before Thanksgiving dinner, we hiked up the hill behind their house. I climbed on a hay bale with Ivy. For dinner there was turkey and mashed potatoes. After dinner Mommy and Daddy left and we had a sleepover. 

Alida: That night, Ivy came into Emily and Jonas' room crying and saying, "I waved at Terah but she didn't wave back," all teary. Although Terah was sleeping. When Emily told her that Terah was sleeping and no one waves back when they are sleeping, Ivy stopped crying and went right back to bed. I slept on the bed above Ivy and I slept pretty well. Terah slept on a mattress next to Ivy's bed. After the first sleepover, we went out and jumped on the trampolines, when spelunking in their basement, had 5-6 picnics, and that evening when it was dark did shadow puppets. The second night, as far as I know, went better. The next morning, we had banana pecan pancakes.  Both days we played toy restaurant. 










Terah: I felt sad to leave and I miss, miss, miss them. I missed my parents zero much. 

Alida: I was a little excited to see the chickens again. But I also missbeing there. I also was excited to say hi to Mommy, Daddy, Grandma, Grandpa and Tala again. It felt good to be there though (when asked for more she noted: It just felt fun basically, I don't have very complicated emotions about that). 

Janelle: As the stenographer for this post, I get the pleasure of the final word. I will just add that I cried when hugging Emily upon our arrival and I had the fanciest hairdo done at the in-house salon and that was accompanied by a foot rub and nap!!

No comments:

Post a Comment