Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Soaking in this time of year

Yesterday was one of those days where I don't have to look far or think hard to land upon a whole list of things that keep me going and make life feel full and overflowing. I've always said that I enjoy Jason's birthday better than my own, falling one day after mine and with all the pressure for me to enjoy "my" day over with. I tend to soak his up. It didn't hurt that I had the day at home, that Jason and I enjoyed quality time together during the day and ended the day with a gathering of good friends in our home.

http://picasaweb.google.com/bennerj8/ShedHiddleyPhoebeToothEtc# gives a really good smattering of recent weeks and the themes in those pictures give a glimpse of some of the highlights. Kali growing up (with her first lost tooth), a wonderful little person, neighbor and friend who seems to enjoy hanging out as much with us as we with her, tea parties and the best bunny pet I can imagine, the pantry full and overflowing and coinciding with that a decline in outdoor garden work/harvesting/putting up, and the beginnings of a dream come true of my parents building on our home for their retirement (first step being the placement of a shed to hold their things and our tower things until their "in-law suite" is done).

But back to yesterday.

The shed was delivered in the morning and I believe all three of us were mesmerized with the process. Once it was pulled up the driveway close to our house, the driver then proceeded to direct the trailer with the shed on it with a little remote control as he stood outside by Jason. It ended up needing to be jacked up higher than we had thought to be level so we had not gotten enough block. He will return tomorrow to finish up and then I imagine we'll give some time for Kali to enjoy it as a play house before starting the slow and long process of emptying the tower and preparing for its "deconstruction." There are many emotions associated with embarking on this journey of beginning another very different kind of construction phase of our home. It feels exciting, daunting, fulfilling, and like a lot of work, time and energy (which feel fully worth the investment). We continue to strive and hope for our home to be a welcoming place for all.

Shortly before noon, Kali went up the hill to redeem one of her birthday coupons of a play date with K and P. Jason and I set out shortly thereafter with a packed lunch for a hike to the lake not even 2 miles from our home. Such a unique and special time to walk comfortably in silence or in conversation and then sit by the lake watching a pair of grebes diving and rising, going from one side of the lake to another, getting separated and then coming back together, etc... I told Jason how much I preferred this kind of date to a fancy restaurant. I'm glad we are in agreement!

The evening was then spent with about a dozen friends who joined us for a birthday potluck. Fall is in the air and we chickened out on the potluck picnic and ate inside. I think that made it more possible to enjoy the homemade ice cream. We, those that remained, headed outside around 8:30pm to see Jupiter close to the moon and then to sit around the fire singing and talking. The night couldn't have been much more beautiful with the moon going in and out of the clouds and the air crisp and cool. We felt well celebrated!!

I'm trying not to focus on "favorites" in my life, to not encourage any further our daughter's obsession with favorites. However, I think I am almost ready to proclaim fall as my favorite season. There is something in the air that is so distinct that I love!

No comments:

Post a Comment