The answer can be summed up in two words: "Movie Nights"
Yes, friends, Jason and Janelle have summoned some uncharacteristic media appetite and have watched, in five nights, five different movies:
Mumford
Lars and the Real Girl
Junebug
Amelie
Guantanamera
Rating them on a scale of one to five is too blunt an instrument, so suffice it to say that both of us got the most feel-good, old-fashioned movie buzz from Lars and the Real Girl. Beyond that, it depends what you like.
Long about 8:15 (the usual time), it became clear that everyone would be happier if Alida were asleep. So after a clean diaper and some swaddling, it was "night-night time", one of her favorite times of day. However, in contrast to her usual pattern recently, she did not fall asleep nursing, but rather continued her kicking and general tired-baby thrashing while failing to settle into a nursing rhythm. Janelle decided to try a lullaby (the one I wrote for Alida). As Alida often will do during singing, she joined right in, making some of her own adorable vocalizations. This time, however, something made Janelle call me in to listen. It came as a bit of a shock to realize that her vocalizations were approximately in cadence with the phrasing of the song. That is to say that at the risk of making too much of it, I will venture that she seemed to be...well...singing along! I was dumbstruck, which is good because nothing I could have said would have improved upon what I had just witnessed.
My reactions, in order: Oooh! Awww! Hee hee!
ReplyDeleteSo, I haven't seen most of those movies, but I have seen Junebug and Amelie . . . and love them both. I hope you had fun with a little cinematic narrative.
I am not surprised that Alida is drawn to music. It's a very sweet and simple way to replicate sounds before syllables are a factor. So darling!
And as for laughter--well! Can't wait to hear it. If her name is any indication, this won't be the last laugh, so to speak.