A neighbor who dropped by for some chicken feed said, "So, I see you've mastered sweet potatoes." Not that I know of. I would consider it mastering the cultivation of sweet potatoes if I had accurately predicted, ten years running, whether our crop would be a plentiful or poor one, and if I had corrected any problems that arose before they became destructive, such that the majority of years an ample crop was procured. At the beginning of this season, when I committed my beautiful, lovingly tended little sweet potato slips to the soil, I was hopeful that conditions would be to their liking. However, it was a bit of an experiment since I had never interplanted them with sweet peppers on such a scale before (20 plants each or so), nor had I ever interplanted them with okra at all. Also, I was worried about voles, since I've heard horror stories about people going out to harvest their much-anticipated tubers to find only chewed-up nubs under wilted vines. As it turns out, the sweet potatoes made a lovely (and stunningly productive) living mulch and understory for both species, but especially the okra, and I saw only one tuber that had only slight evidence of chewing by some rodent. We just dug over two hundred pounds of sweet potatoes from two forty-two foot double-cropped rows.
The peppers were planted every 2 feet with a sweet potato plant between each, and the okra were sown on 18 inch intervals, again with a sweet potato in each hill. Despite being planted closer together, the sweet potatoes with the okra row made bigger tubers and a thicker carpet of vines than those planted with the peppers. I chalk this up to mostly shading...the peppers make a more formidable shade. But it could also be that I planted the okra row first, and used my oldest and most vigorous sweet potato slips there. I am impressed that the sweet potatoes seem fully compatible with either species. I don't know the variety we use, since we bought anonymous slips a few years ago at the farmer's market, but I'd be willing to hazard a guess towards "Beauregard."
For those interested, we prepared the soil thusly: A generous helping of autumn leaves over the whole area in late autumn, several applications of clover-heavy grass clippings in spring (about a two-inch layer each time), followed by a thick hay mulch. Pepper and sweet potato plants were set out into small circles of exposed soil scraped through the decomposing mulch layers, and okra was seeded into similar circles. The sweet potatoes were never watered individually...the assumption was that they would get the water they needed from proximity to the well-watered peppers and okra. This summer, watering was only necessary for the first half of the warm season. Most of that soil has not been tilled at all for at least 2 years, and when we dug the sweet potatoes we saw the benefits of that: every clod unearthed was riddled with invertebrate (insect, worm, etc.) tunnels, which make perfect passageways for the rapidly expanding root masses that garden plants need to be able to develop in order to thrive.
No comments:
Post a Comment