Now I'm sitting in our bedroom while Alida finishes up her nap with the window open and the sound of the wind in the pine trees. The background noise for awhile around here will be construction noise, as this week's project on the home front is for Jason to finally finish up the trim on the window's we replaced last year. It's fun to have these days at home to look forward to - while we have some goals for the time it feels we can move at a more relaxed pace enjoying meals together and evenings of games and being together as a family. We'll be spending Christmas week together at home for the first time since Nora was with us and will welcome the Benner clan here to celebrate with us the weekend after Christmas.
The girls and I made our menus for the week yesterday with them each picking things they would like to eat. With the exception of Kali's first request, we have everything we need to make their favorite dishes (I love not needing to go grocery shopping!). Her first request was toasted cheese sandwiches, which she was easily diverted from when she learned we didn't have cheddar cheese - and it worked out perfectly that our friends had made toasted cheese last night for supper club so she got her wish afterall!
Now it is time to do our monthly deworming of the goats so I better wrap this up. They will be thrilled since it means human contact and attention - and some oats and molasses. We got goats to experiment with raising goats to see how they fit us and our homestead and I'd say the experiment has been a success on my end of things - I don't want to raise goats! I think if I had nothing else to do, no other living things that depended on me for their physical and emotional well-being and I wanted to have goats by my side 24/7 they would be perfect! As it is, I have lots of other things I'd like to fill my days with, I have three people who I love dearly who I want to invest my time and energy into and I would rather not have the goats tagging along everywhere (though they were kind of cute hanging out with us this morning while we hung laundry). The reality is that these particular little guys seem very emotionally needy - they want to be with us! Recently when we've taken them for walks we try to go where they want to go - which means running as fast as we can to keep up with them. Where do they take us? Not to a honeysuckle patch or some luscious grass in the yard - to our porch and they just stare inside. The other day they took Jason to our side porch, then to the door on the deck and then around the back of the house to the garage door. Silly kids! Yesterday I tethered Oreo on something that wasn't strong enough and he got loose - no problem, because he just showed up on the side porch! In my good moments, I can enjoy having them around and watching Kali and Alida enjoy them. But I often feel a little overwhelmed by the thought of providing them a good home for the duration of their lives. I think they would be happier either with a lot more goats around or if they had people close by them all the time. As it is, every time we walk out the door they pipe up and that gets pretty old for me. They took a little trip to Waynesboro this past week when friends borrowed them to be part of a Nativity scene. :) Their stay away was extended due to bad weather and I realized how much more relaxed I felt walking outside and not hearing their bleating. I find it interesting how the noises from our chickens and ducks don't bother me in the least but the goats cry definitely gets me at a different spot. But for now it will be me that will have to adjust as there would be louder cries from a different kind of kid if we got rid of them at this point! And that other kid is chomping at the bit to get back outside so I better get on with the day and off this computer (as the littlest munchkin is also awake and clambering for attention)!
No comments:
Post a Comment