Friday, March 14, 2014

Three yellow flowers and other random tidbits!

It might be a wiser use of time to be folding laundry, getting our supper packed and getting a shower so we can all be ready to head to D.C. for a weekend of galavanting around with a bunch of family folks we are meeting up with there.  But Alida is just "coming to" from her nap and enjoying a little mama milk pick-me-up so I'll see if I can get a few things noted here that may be of interest.

Most importantly, spring is coming (despite more snow in the forecast).  The other day I noticed that the spot where we normally see the first bunch of 3 yellow flowers was mulched last fall and just one had made it through. I was a little sad to know we had probably contributed to the clump not making it through as easily. Tuesday I was spreading chipped up mulch on garden paths and look what I found!  I passed it over and over with my loads of mulch and felt grateful to the memories of our time with Nora that those little flowers always evoke!  There is green poking up in Nora's garden too and here is the first blooming flower (love that it is purple and orange).  We thought about Nora a lot last night too as Jason and I enjoyed a date night at Court Square Theater enjoying a Valley Playhouse production of Steel Magnolias.  If you are a local and can get to it, do it!  I laughed a lot and did a fair share of crying too!




For the rest of these, I'll just make comments on the pictures...

Someone is enjoying her birthday chain immensely - as the chain shortens the excitement builds!
All our windowsills are full of seeds sprouting - so exciting!!  
Here is the aforementioned stove.  I'm getting used to it...
Jason has been eager to plant these posts for years!
 
It's happening!  I need to get another picture now as the grape and kiwi trellises are almost complete and they look great!!
Despite the fact that it seems there is a bit more contention between these two, there are also lots of harmonious moments.  We've loved having a few nice days to all be outside playing and working together!
Jason got the wire installed on the kitchen garden trellises.  We are getting ready for the season!
Yes, this is a LARGE squash!  The chickens ended up getting a little bit of it as I had let it go just a hair too long. They were not disappointed to get a share of it...
The rest made a delicious creamed Hubbard squash soup with onions and garlic sauteed in coconut oil and then cooked in chicken broth. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment