What a June! We were out weeding and getting beans planted right up until dark tonight and I commented how crazy it felt to be hand weeding without tools at this time of year. The ground is chock full of moisture and the plants are responding! Jason is tucking in trombone squash vines into the trellis at least once a day, and today twice. Water, sun, soil, compost and seeds are a pretty amazing combination! I spent the first few hours of my day going out and in with tea, lettuce, spinach, kale, mustard greens, sugar snap peas, snow peas, lambsquarter, amaranth, basil, and parsley. I weeded as I went and Alida joined me for part of the time, picking some red currants in the kitchen garden. So the morning was veggies and this afternoon after Alida's nap I worked on fruit but only got as far as the red raspberry patch (picking several quarts) since I got side tracked in the potato patch and ended up weeding the whole thing (giving what I found to the goats to keep them quiet) and picking off a good number of potato bugs! Thankfully Kali got inspired to pick black raspberries and found about a quart around our place. Maybe tomorrow on the red and white currants?
| Nora's garden retention pit was full to the top! |
No comments:
Post a Comment