This was all her idea, actually. She’s been agitating for a fishing excursion
since late winter, and finally brought it to a family meeting last week. So during the meeting we whipped out the schedule
book and made a plan, and today we executed that plan. I believe, based on her high level of
interest during the whole several hours of fishing and based on her
exclamations of “That was a really good place for fishing!” as we left for home
that it can be considered to have met her expectations.
It’s always a little anticlimactic, after such a fun family
excursion, to have to gut a bunch of fish.
Well, usually it’s
anticlimactic. What other dad can say
that their kids insisted on the privilege of helping to clean the fish? I even had to promise I wouldn’t start
without them (by the way, when Alida heard me say that we’d have to “clean” the
fish after catching them, she chimed in that we’d have to clean them “inside
and out!”). I figured they’d each want
to try to scale one or two, then go wash up, leaving me with one of “…love’s austere
and lonely offices.” (from Robert Hayden’s,
Those Winter Sundays) Nothing doing. Read on.
After watching me do one, Kali and I both agreed that the
girls shouldn’t try to handle a knife and
a slippery fish at the same time. Alida
wasn’t ready to concede the point, but at three and a half I insisted on that
one! But the scaling looked doable to
both of them, so I poked my knife through the fish’s tail to hold it in place
and Kali was off and scraping. To my
surprise it went just fine. Much better
than last year. Not to be outdone, Alida
on her turn took up the fish scaler with great vim and vigor and proceeded to…scale
a fish. These kids are something else. She had to hold the thing at about chin level
and almost stand on tiptoe to see what she was doing, but so help me the scales
came off. Not too quickly, not
completely, but not all that slowly and pretty thoroughly, all told. I just had to close my mouth, swallow my
flabbergast, and stand at the ready to help her flip it over and do the other
side when she was done with the first; I will cheerfully ignore any scales I
find at lunch tomorrow.
Well as it turns out the girls both seem to like cleaning fish. After a little initial squeamish fascination
on Alida’s part, they quickly adjusted to all the tasks they could manage:
taking fish off of the stringer, scaling, picking up fish heads and scooping up
piles of scales for the gut bucket, depositing cleaned fish in the basin of
water. Their work was interspersed with
lots of questions about and exploration of these creatures so different from
ourselves, which they both like to eat so very much. Kali seemed to be experiencing something like
respect and endearment as she stroked the sleek, lifeless forms and commented
on their colors. She wondered what bass
are like…how are they the same or different?
I felt I was on holy ground. Is
there anything more precious to humans than this hunger to know about the
world? It is my privilege to accompany
them on their quest…at least for the first few years.
At one point during one of her turns, with fish scales
a-flying, Alida looked up into my face with some questions:
“Am I learning?...Did I just learn this?”
“Yup.”
“Now I know it?”
“Yup.”
“How to do it?”
“Yup.”
“Carefully?”
“Yup.”
I have nothing useful to add to that.
I think I’m off to a much-needed shower, and then I’ll brush
my teeth (without flossing) and crawl into bed a richer man than the one that
woke this morning.
No comments:
Post a Comment