Ten days is too long to go between postings right now, as it feels like each day is packed full of adventure and new things around here. But I'll do my best to include some highlights. First, and most importantly, an update on the little (or not so little) people in our home.
Here's Terah enjoying parsley! She is still not consuming much food but enjoys playing with it - particularly sucking on dill pickles and chomping on leafy things that she can shred and feel the interesting textures in her mouth until she gags and gives them back.
We decided to be efficient with our doctor appointments and do back to back appointments with Alida having her 5 year old check up right alongside Terah's appointment. It cut the waiting time in half, so we'll be doing that again! Alida grew over 3 inches this past year, but even more impressive was her growth in other areas. I don't know what it is about the first time our children are old enough to do the vision tests but I well remember almost crying the first time Kali did it also. There is something so cute about them standing there with their little hand cupped over one eye, slightly inclined forward and reading off the letters so purposefully (and proudly). Kali loved the eye test and it seems to run in the family as Alida was pretty impressed with it as well. But even more than that was here little lesson in mindfulness. She and Terah both got one vaccine (the same one in fact), and the nurse didn't attempt anything fancy with Terah - just the "get it over with as quickly as possible" route. With Alida, though, she taught her to lay back and close her eyes and take deep breaths. She helped her relax her leg until it was floppy. I was standing there a bit dubious. I didn't think Alida would go for these "tricks" at all. I was wrong. She followed right along, took all the tips to heart, and only flinched a tiny bit when the needle went in. She then talked about the success of that approach for the rest of the day, as well as the status of her sore (but not very) injection site.
No new doctor stats on Kali, but I can report that she is growing up in so many ways - the one I'm thinking about most this week is the growth in her abilities in the kitchen. She has been cooking regularly now on Monday nights for a few months and is getting more and more skilled with each meal. This past week I was in the bedroom working while Terah napped and basically came to the table when supper was ready (my help was limited to a few quick consults on cooking time and spices that might be nice in her dish). I couldn't stop exclaiming about the deliciousness of the meal - it was a hit with all of us: soaked rice/black amaranth combo cooked with a red lentil spinach dish served over top. Simple and scrumptious! I told her we might have to up number of cooking nights - she is open to the possibility!
Now for some of the other growing things. Let's first comment on some of the projects that have come off our ever expanding project list:
The potatoes are planted! And, unlike onions, we even had some seed potatoes left over to share. I got in on just a little rock picking up and a row of potato planting with Terah in tow. But mostly this was a project completed by Kali and Jason, with some assistance from Alida.
Our new asparagus bed is complete and the crowns planted! We had a scare when we realized that our crowns were still in Mom and Dad's fridge when they last came and co-existed there for about 24 hours with a few apples and a banana before Jason realized it. Those fruits put off gasses that kill living tissue so we were quite concerned. We have yet to know if any damage was sustained, but I was very pleased to be the first to notice two little sprigs on the one variety shooting up yesterday. I've been obsessed with going down daily and giving them a drink of water. I am yearning for a good asparagus patch! And we should give credit where credit it due - here you will see that the ducks and chickens are always quite happy to get in there and work on bed preparations with us - the chickens scratching is often "the kind of help we all can do without."
Terah is now awake so I need to bring this to a close, but a blog post would not be complete without a few food updates. A few recent finds/successes/experiments!
I've got a winner for using up dried sweet peppers and tomatoes and my frozen shredded trombone squash. If I saute chives and then add a quart bag of shredded squash to the pan along with a handful of dried peppers and tomatoes, it works perfectly. Throw in some chopped nettles and pour eggs over and bake with some fresh herbs added and we have a delightful breakfast. It's great in that the squash is so watery when it thaws but that is beneficial in this application as it helps re-hydrate the dried veggies and nettles also tend to be a bit dry. Yes, I will admit that I'm a bit pleased with myself on this find.
No comments:
Post a Comment