Sunday, May 3, 2020

Two more weeks gone by (100+ more hours on a screen)

I've just taken my computer outside and am sitting on the porch swing while Terah plays in the sandbox in her underwear. Kali is laying the grass looking up at the sky and Jason and Alida are blowing dandelion fluff in the pig paddocks to grow more of the pigs' favorite food for them going forward! After another 9+ hour work day, our first ever virtual CJP graduation is over! This week I "moved upstairs" for a good number of hours to have a larger work station and multiple screens for managing the end of the semester. Just four more capstone presentations happening tomorrow and then I will get to move even more behind the scenes (just the way I like it) rather than managing tech logistics for largish events.

There is no doubt that I've participated in the most meaningful virtual events of my life this week. A three hour circle with our graduates yesterday and a beautiful service today that required a hankie at my side. I'm very grateful that we've been able to gather in groups of 20-200 to reflect, dream, celebrate, grieve, laugh and cry together. AND I really miss the in-person times. Yesterday was a gorgeous day and pangs hit me throughout the day that for the first time in years we would not be hosting the CJP graduation party. I've been glad for spaces to lament what will not be, and for opportunities to also be grateful for the ways we can still connect. Today one of our graduates sang a powerful and soulful version of May Erlewine's song I Won't Be Afraid. Months ago, Jason had pegged this as a perfect CJP graduation song and it was. Here are some of the lyrics:

I won't be afraid
Afraid to fall
I'd rather be broken
And give it my all

I won't be afraid
Afraid to believe
Show me a future
I want to see
I won't be afraid

But it's gonna take
All that we've got
I know it's true
It's gonna take
every little bit of our love
Me and you
It's gonna take patience
Patience and time
All of the courage we have
and all the faith we can find

..Side by side let every voice sing
From every mountain till true freedom rings

...Not stepping down and not letting go
It's gonna take every last one of us
One and all
Gonna take building a bridge
Not building a wall!

Yearly on the evening following the CJP graduation celebration I normally feel two things really strongly - a deep exhaustion coupled with a deep sense of wonder that my life has intersected with such courageous, wise, compassionate, inspiring, loving, dedicated, powerful, and passionate humans. They have mentored me, challenged me, extended grace and offered friendship. To be a small part of their journeys has been a privilege.
So the weariness and gratitude is coexisting in me as the day comes to a close! I don't have a long thoughtful blog post in me but will share a few bright "non-computer moments" from the last two weeks. I'm hoping come mid-May I will find myself getting reacquainted with our gardens, animals and most importantly my family, who have been amazingly tolerant and supportive in this time (Jason has joined me on the porch swing and is rubbing my shoulder while I type!).
We enjoyed a physically distanced hike and picnic with dear friends! 
Make that, 2 of those! Our weekly walk/talks with neighbors and friends, Jonathan and Christen, is a consistently nourishing time in our week.
Last Sunday we spent part of our sabbath time doing a walk around to observe and enjoy what's bursting forth in all the gardens. Walking through the barley patch with one's fingers brushing across the tops was a highlight for young and old alike.
Some of the rye we planted last fall has crested 6 feet in height!
After a lot of activity in the pig paddock (making us hopeful about August piglets), we said goodbye to the boar who had visited for a few weeks!
The chicks in our house are growing so fast - adding to the fun and smells in our home. They are testing their flying abilities and we have had to put quite a few back in the confines of their swimming pool pen!
Hikes to the top of our hill continue to be a highlight for us all. 
Sister love makes my heart swell!

The potatoes have sprouted! Thanks to raised beds (that we keep raising higher and higher), they haven't drowned in the recent rains!
A precious visit from my parents went all too fast. It was particularly hard for Terah who would ask me quietly, "Can I touch Grandma?" The next day she verbalized how much she misses her and at one point exclaimed, "It's annoying that I can't hug Grandma." 
Our girls took it upon themselves to make masks. Kali taught herself and then taught Alida. Here's to sewing with Grandma and unschooled kiddos who take initiative to learn new things and believe they can figure things out on their own. 
 
The other evening, we took a quick jaunt down the road (with rain clouds threatening to dump on us but just sprinkling us). I wanted to show them a new trail on the mountain that Emily had introduced me to. It had lovely stepping stones across the stream. I wondered what the state of it would be with the rains we had been having. We'll have to return when the stepping stones emerge again above the water. I see some stream play in our summer! For now, I think it's time for supper, shutting chickens in and the next episode of the Great British Baking Show! Editor's note (from Jason): How ironic that our family's current chosen "veg out" involves barely any veg!

No comments:

Post a Comment