Monday, October 23, 2023

Soccer season coming to a close

I'm gonna tackle the scrapbook catch up by topic today rather than chronologically because my brain is all over the place and there have been so many things woven throughout our days in the last 2 weeks. Some of the mental and emotional backdrop of these posts is wondering how to integrate our beautiful experiences of celebration and connection and family, not to mention safety and having all our basic needs met, with the extreme violence and trauma that many are experiencing around the world, but particularly in the Middle East. My heart breaks for a friend who lost touch with her family in Gaza many days ago, and I feel so angry for the media portrayals of what it happening (negating the humanity of millions, among other things)! I'm thankful to those who have lived experience and connections in the region who are willing to share that, as well as bringing it home to those of us who live in this colonized land - if you have instagram, I recommend this silverrunforestfarm post for starters!

SO...life gives so many opportunities to hold multiple seemingly conflicting things in our hands and hearts simultaneously...still not a pro at that myself!

The girls were at Ivy's for a sleepover last night (a belated celebration with them of Terah turning 8!) as Jason and I scurried around until dark (and a bit after) getting ready somewhat frantically for the first frost of the year. We got it (the frost) and were mostly ready (phew)! 

I've seen some pictures as proof of the fun our kiddos are having. Sadly, Jason and I were not able to soak up much time together this particular kiddo-free stint since Jason was taking off before 5 a.m. this morning to make his way into DC for a grain conference. I am hoping he is making good connections and enjoying himself today, and I feel certain from the updates already that he won't be getting any ideas that city living might suit him better than our little rural spot!! While he navigated (only somewhat successfully) the DC metro system, I enjoyed morning chores in the crisp autumn air!
It's good Jason made it to the soccer games on Terah's birthday since it ended up being the only games he made it to this season. Between the fall crunch and needing to have someone at home in the evening on predator watch with chickens free ranging, the stars just didn't align. But he made good use of the games he was at and took MANY photographs. So photo credits to him for the smattering I picked out to share here. The night he was with us, we also had the pleasure of having my great aunt, second cousin and her son with us on the sidelines (more on that in another post!). Tonight will be the last games of this season and, while I think we all might appreciate some easing of our evening schedules, I know the girls are gonna miss playing. Alida and Terah have LOVED the season, and I think Kali has enjoyed coaching well enough (she's a bit less effusive about it than they are about playing!). I think I've been pretty good about not been too obnoxious on the sidelines, though Alida still tells me I'm loud. I aim to follow Kali's tip of avoiding verbs (so as to not "coach") and I also try to just sit back and enjoy it, but it's hard for me to not be expressive about that enjoyment. 

As long as the kids are having fun, I really don't have other priorities for them playing soccer. They clearly find it to be joyful movement (while exhausting) and a fun way to interact with their peers. However, I have had some moments of awe in seeing Alida's footwork and the power of her body to propel the ball from one end of the field to the other. She would cream me in one-on-one soccer at this point. The other night we were on time for her practice and her coach was delayed by 10-15 minutes. I made a rash decision to place myself in the goal so the girls could start practicing by shooting on goal. What was I thinking? I was a tad sore the next day (clearly, I needed a full body suit to protect me from their shots).
Alida has enjoyed a combination of positions this fall, including giving goalie a try a few times. I think the main attraction there is getting to punt the ball a lot!

At Terah's age, we still affectionately call the sport "bunch ball" and it's so cute to see the kids all jumping up and down to be chosen for each throw in or corner kick or kick off. 
It's getting dark earlier and earlier as well as colder and colder on the sidelines! Tonight, Terah's team will have the honor of playing under the new lights for the first time (and last time) this season. I know they will likely want me to sign them up for the spring season just as soon as it is possible to do so. Alida officially "ages out" since you need to be 12 on April 1 and she turns 13 just a handful of days before that. But it looks like there will be enough wiggle room on the dates for her to enjoy one more season with Harrisonburg Parks and Rec and then we'll have to make a decision about where to from there! 

But first, I'm looking forward to the longer, darker, colder fall/winter evenings by the wood stove. Then I'll be ready to welcome spring again!

No comments:

Post a Comment