Saturday, March 24, 2012

Hatching success

Janelle told you I am often to be found in the rocking chair by the chicks...I might dispute that claim, but perhaps that's because I've wanted to be found here more that I have been!

The hatch went superbly, from my perspective. No runts, so far as I can tell. 30 chicks out of 40 eggs is not a bad hatch rate, and what I'm especially pleased by is that none of those that made it to hatch day seemed to struggle in hatching (beyond the usual, that is), and none of them showed signs of illness. Sometimes a percentage of them will die within the few days before hatch, will become sickened as they are hatching, or become too dry (sticky instead of wet) from tarrying too long in the half-open shell and never make it out.

I won't bore you with the details of why I find this hatch genetically interesting...suffice it to say that I'm fascinated by the percentages of the different comb types that are emerging, and the color differences between those coming from the same rooster but different hens, especially the fact that it's been so consistent. Also of interest is the fact that most of the black chicks hatched a bit early, whereas the light chicks centered around the expected time of hatch, but were spread out over a longer period of time.

These chicks represent the first hatch in my second breeding experiment, where the goal is to come up with a chicken ideally suited to free-range production of both eggs and meat in open, agricultural landscapes where both winter cold and summer sun are challenging. I intend the birds to be large in size, but not necessarily massively heavy, light enough in color to reflect some of the sun's heat but not so light as to make too obvious a target for hawks, tall and long of leg (then they can step through and see around well in tall pasture easily) but not thin and bony, strong in frame but not heavy in bone. I could write more, but you don't really need to know about all the details!

What most of you (family and friends) really want to know from me is what this means to me. I'm having fun. I can't say as I am getting so emotionally invested in this batch of chicks as I may have some others...maybe it's that I've done it a few times before, maybe it's that I've got enough other caregiving competing for my affections, maybe it's that I'm taking the breeder's mindset where analysis and observation are more dominant in my thinking. But I have to admit that the first peeping audible from the incubator brought a smile to my face, and I couldn't resist checking the progress of the hatching chicks like a hyperactive kindergartener!

A busy, rainy day awaits as we prepare for A's first birthday party, and breakfast is on...gotta run!

No comments:

Post a Comment