But all that was last month and as things go around here, lots happens on a daily basis and so the main focus of this post is to talk about our kiddos (the one napping and the one out in her bikini filling up the wading pool). It's hard to keep up with them right now. Just when we think we have something figured out, it changes. They are doing plenty of living and loving as well, and while I have moments where I could burst with frustration, I have more times where I feel I could burst with feelings of complete amazement and joy in our little family!
One of the more challenging things that keeps popping up now and again is the fact that Alida is two and in the age/stage where whatever the big people are doing is very interesting to her. She wants to copy and join in and do whatever we are doing - especially what big sister, Kali, is doing! This, 75% of the time, doesn't seems to bother Kali and she happily and willingly includes Alida in her activities. But when it does bother her, it really bothers her and I haven't yet found an approach to her anxiety and frustration about it that seems to really help. She doesn't want them to be the same people. Neither do we! But to date there seem to be many signs pointing to the fact that they won't be, and even now aren't! I'll share just a few here (and Kali would likely not approve of portions of this post, but I'm hopeful that down the road she'll be glad to read it...let's hope anyway!). So now for the 3 S's...
I learned that I'm not going to be a quite spectator...My two most humorous moments to date included watching Kali turn a complete 360 when her coach hollered to her to "turn around" when her back was facing the ball and then watching her at least twice almost follow the player she was marking off the field when a sub was coming in for her. It's cute to hear her analyze her own play and wonderful to sense her super attitude about playing - seldom even knowing what the final score of the game was. The noncompetitive nature of this league is probably best demonstrated by the fact that you don't forfeit a game if you don't have enough players, the other team just gives you some of theirs so the game can go on!
Well, soccer, is the one place where we have the most "rub" right now as Kali wants it to be her thing (even after informing her than millions of people play soccer worldwide!). She has given some mixed messages though because she was very supportive of Alida having her own soccer bag to go to practices with her own soccer ball. But of late she tries to get Alida to play with our football when she is kicking soccer - only minimally successful. The fact is that Alida has quite the little foot and it wouldn't shock me in the least if in the end Kali moves on from soccer to other things and Alida actually is the one to stick with it. Who knows. Here's Alida at it:
Secrets: This is probably where Alida and Kali's personality seem to be showing a very striking difference. Kali is very private. This, for her external processing mother, is not an easy thing! And the more one tries to get something out of Kali, the less likely you are to do so. Actually I don't think it really makes a difference what approach you take, you will not get something out of Kali that she doesn't wish to offer. There are benefits to this approach, of course. But I'd certainly be grateful for a few more glimpses into her mind and heart, on personal matters (she will gladly have an abstract or theoretical conversation anytime!).
Alida is our little "open book" gal right now. Of course that might change over time but I'm enjoying the contrast and found it particularly helpful the other day.
So Alida just melts when Kali reprimands her - trembling lips, sobbing and cries of "mama." I was hanging laundry the other day while the girls played on the porch. I heard Kali say, "Alida, don't do that." Silence and then the request again a bit more forcefully. Soon Alida was coming my way crying. For the next 5 minutes or so I tried to get Kali to tell me what Alida had done that was so troublesome so that I could more easily talk with Alida about it. It was clear I was fighting a losing battle as Kali was not going to tell me. She seemed to think that her telling Alida not to do it was enough and that if she told me then Alida would just pick something worse to do. I think she was reading into Alida's intentions a bit too much, but I was completely in the dark as to what Alida had done. Of course my curiosity was peaked but I've learned that I might as well just drop it as I'm not going to get anywhere.
It was hours later that inspiration hit - why not ask Alida what she did?! We were in the kitchen, and I just nonchalantly asked Alida what she had done that morning that had bothered Kali so much. Without missing a beat she informed me that she had put a boogie on Kali. It was hard to not laugh really hard at that moment. A quick check in with Kali confirmed that I had been offered the truth. Now, I'm still clueless as to why this was top secret information on Kali's part, but clearly Alida had no trouble offering it!
I'll give the sad news next and then end on a happy note. So we had another brood of baby chicks hatch under a mama, giving us three mama hens sitting on chicks. This morning when Jason went to the low coop with a mama on each side, he found a very injured hen and two chicks missing on one side and a slightly injured hen and one missing chick on the other. It makes us sick to even think of it, but clearly a raccoon got under the coop and dismembered and pulled out the baby chicks through the wire. Jason knew that raccoons could be a problem, but thought the gauge wire on those coops was not only snake proof but "other critters" proof. Not so. We'll be doing something different for them tonight but that doesn't make it feel much better today. Jason will need to do some work on the one hen and will probably try to give her remaining chicks to the other mother hen tonight (hoping she'll bond with them) so that the hen can hopefully recover from her injuries. Very sad!
Lastly, I think we are not going to classify my mason bees as an "animal." We've had a "one new animal" a year policy for the last number of years (and that has included babies). Well, we went to see some baby goats the other night. That is a very dangerous thing to do if you are not planning to purchase them. Oh, they were cute and so persistently friendly. Alida was sure about their boldness, but I found it very endearing. The one little fellow figured out the zipper on my sweatshirt and was successfully pulling it up and down. The one is black and white (Oreo) and the other brown, black and white (Cookie Dough). They need their mama for another 6 weeks or so but then I have a feeling they will be making Tangly Woods their home. We forgot to take pictures, so check back...
No comments:
Post a Comment