- It's so wonderful to be home more and able to do the morning chicken and pig chores on a regular basis.
- The peppers depress me every time I walk past them but it looks like we have enough okra to fry, pickle and freeze.
- There is something so beautiful about a pottery bowl with fresh blackberries on the dining room table, with a bouquet of Alida's zinnias behind it.
- Everywhere I look there are projects desperately wanting our attention and this is very wearing on this perfectionist.
- I feel sad that we did not prioritize a family vacation for this summer, and on the occasions recently when Jason and I have taken a few minutes to read and have coffee together in the morning, I've been transported (longingly) back to our total unplug in Cape Charles last summer.
- My attempt at "no email days" hasn't gone so well to date - I succeeded at one but the second was thwarted by Terah dropping our cell phone and it dying (thus email now being our only means of communication until the new phone comes).
- My favorite summer hours are 6-8 a.m. outdoors and thanks to Kali laying with Terah in those hours, I have gotten to be outside many mornings getting chores and the harvesting done before the sun is beating down on us.
- Right now our soils have me perplexed and I'm wanting to know how to respond to what we are observing and I feel inadequate - some things are thriving and some things are struggling. We have so much to learn.
- My life, as this blog attests to, is so much what I've always wanted and longed for and still my insides are pretty scrambled up right now.
I continue to question this blog. I felt re-inspired upon seeing how much the girls love looking back through the blog books. But if scrapbooking is the only purpose, then I could transition it to a private site that is not out there for anyone in the world to land on. Would anyone (other than my mother, who I could invite to the private version) miss it? Would not having the blog inspire more people to connect with us personally (rather than popping in here if they want to see what is happening in our lives?). Does the blog actually contribute to feelings of loneliness and disconnection since it tends to be mostly a one way street and I'm a fan of two-way relationships? So I'm putting my misgivings out there. If any of you that may find yourself reading this have any thoughts, please share them. I like writing and I like being genuine. I like processing life with others and I like keeping track of family adventures for our girls. But I don't feel like this blog can serve all those purposes. It's not been a good mechanism for engagement with others and it also feels like if anyone is reading this and thinking this is all our life is, it gives a pretty skewed image of it! Comments on the blog are always welcome, but I also would be happy for personal emails (bennerj@emu.edu) or facebook messages if any of this inspires something in you that you'd be open to sharing. Or, take this as an invitation: if you are reading this and enjoy hearing some snippets from our lives know that I would like nothing more than to hear a few snippets from yours!
So the snippets from our life in reverse order of the subject line:
Friday was supposed to be a family retreat day. It was late Thursday that our phone broke, which had me in a bit of a funk. I dislike having a cell phone. I dislike researching getting a new cell phone. I dislike trying to figure out repairing an old phone. I dislike decisions where everything I choose feels like it goes against my values. I dislike driving to town for just one thing. So we punted on doing anything until Saturday. Friday morning Jason and I did have to work on office stuff (me) and homestead stuff (me/Jason), but by midday we were ready to transition to some quality time together completely unplugged. And, while we normally have a goal of not setting foot in a car on a family retreat day, we decided to make the short trip to Fiddley Gap. Such a good decision!
I think right now, with the amount of overwhelm I feel on the home front, it can be really good to leave the premises when attempting to fully unplug. Not five minute into our hike, Alida and Terah were exclaiming over and over how much fun this place was - lots of rocks and interesting things to look at! One of our favorite rock structures was where someone decided to try to amuse future hikers by making it look like a tiny twig was holding up the rock. We decided to add to the art installation and added a few more twigs to "hold up" the other boulders!
Just a half mile in is a swimming hole which was our main destination. The water was COLD! But the girls had so much fun splashing, sliding, and swimming.They were asking to come back even before we left. I included a video here of them sliding. We would have stayed longer if everyone wasn't starting to get chilled down. It's a perfect spot for a midday adventure in summer with the shade along the trail and all around the swimming area. The only challenge for me was the number of rocks, Terah's adventuresomeness and the slipperiness of said rocks.
I check in with your blog and enjoy hearing what you're doing and growing! I'm inspired by your intentionality. Keep it up!
ReplyDeleteI love reading your updates! Your writing is warm and inviting and while I enjoy my life, reading your updates gives me that same longing that reading "my side of the mountain" did when I was a teenager. I love the idea of sustainable farming... But I fear, It would not be as romantic for me in real life. Lol I will have to be happy for the little ways that I enjoy the Earth and it's abundance... And live vicariously through your family. I do miss our walks and talks...
ReplyDelete