Friday, July 5, 2019

Two hair donations, plus a few food updates of course!

Yesterday was the day that two of us got a bit lighter! It was starting to feel like time to pass some hair along to others that need it more. Kali donated last June and Jason last November, so it was Alida's and my turn. Terah, of course, wanted in on the fun but was only able to donate hers to the birds for their nests. She had just recently gotten into braids and so we were all worried she didn't understand what she was asking for when she kept wanting us to cut more and go shorter. We need not have worried - she loves it and seemed to think that she could jump higher and run faster with a little less hair on her head.
Alida was excited but also a tad nervous. It seemed her flower petal ritual helped to prepare her for the big moment! And she also is not looking back. The hair cut seemed to infuse her with energy and she was bouncing off the walls for much of the afternoon. She seems to really like short hair and it also suits her well. She and Kali were talking later in the day and Alida was commenting how she might want to keep her hair short but still wants to be able to donate. She came asking me if Wigs4Kids accepts money donations as she was thinking that maybe every time she cuts her hair, she would send them a monetary donation. What a kid! 
It's funny how on the one hand I was nervous and on the other hand not really at all. It's just hair and it grows. And my sister has done the honors many times and I trust her with a scissors near my head! My biggest worry is always "will it be low maintenance!" And, especially at this time of year, can I get my hair off my neck. Both goals seem to have been met! And we have 7 thick sections of hair to mail off as soon as we can get to the post office. I'm still a fan of my personal hair plan - grow it to donate, chop it off, grow it to donate, chop it off. Works for me and I don't have to think about it in the two or so years between donations (April 2017 was my last donation And Alida's was July of that year).
Here's a few more before and after shots. I don't think I've ever felt a thicker braid than the one Alida and I shared for a few minutes.
 
So that about sums up the hair cutting fun in our home. Interspersed into the same day was some fun hanging out and game playing with Aunt Karen. We also had afternoon thunderstorms, including a bolt of lightening and impressive crack of thunder right as I stood by the pig paddock with their evening slop. The girls were at the window watching for me as I ran up to the house. Let's just say the slop barrels did not get stirred last evening. The lingering clouds on the mountain following the storm were beautiful! The storms brought Jason inside and he worked on garlic processing until his hands were sore.

That left us with the rare experience of all being inside before dark on a summer evening. Music time! Terah was already overly tired so I was having to really "practice what I preach" (or sing as it were) as I sang about being grateful at the end of the day with her fussing in the background. It was super fun to be working on a song with Jason AND Kali. Doing music together as a family is something we haven't done much and would love to do more. Alida and Terah did enjoy dancing some while we played and Terah was much happier once she had the mandolin in her hands!

So what's new in the kitchen? I was hoping you'd ask! Here's three recent experiments, with only one of those ready for testing and reporting on.

Yesterday I made our first batch of jam for the year (we have some left from other years so I haven't felt very inclined to use fruit that way). But some of the blueberries are starting to get soft (thanks to the spotted winged drosophila) and so it seemed like the time for some berry preserves. And I got the inspiration to try blueberry ginger with our homegrown ginger. It's a winner!!!! 8 cups of mashed blueberries, 1 cup of shredded ginger and 3/4 cup raw honey from our friend's hives. Yum!
I'm happy to report that the first onion experiment is underway. I kicked off this season's fermenting with our first crock of fermented dill pickles yesterday, and also got a crock of sweet onions going. Looks and smells good but only time will tell if that one is a winner or not! Hoping to get some onions drying soon, but weather doesn't look like consistent sunshine for a spell now.
 And why not close with another picture of cheese! The new shelving in the root cellar is slowly filling up with aging blocks of cheddar. This is particularly intended to be an update on the dill cheddar that I talked about in a previous post (see 2nd row to the far right, appropriately right by the dilly canned goods!). It's looking great so far! Still feeling rather amazed at milk and bacteria and time. It does some amazing things to food! Speaking of food, it's time to get some breakfast underway, though Terah had another bad dream in her big girl bed last night so is sleeping somewhat restlessly next to me. Will I be able to slip out?

No comments:

Post a Comment