Sunday, March 20, 2022

Welcome to the neighborhood, Luca Alder!

A month ago we were eagerly anticipating the arrival of a new little neighbor! And now we have had almost a month of loving him on the outside of the womb. With Terah by my side, I tried to show some discretion in how many photos I include here, but since we are both completely smitten we were not able to narrow it down any further than this. I feel so grateful and honored to have been able to be part of Luca's journey into the outside world and also there to welcome him and his parents home after a brief (but momentous as these stays always are) stint in the NICU. They are now settling in at home, and we couldn't be happier to live just a few doors down!! 

The girls and Jason came to meet him soon after they arrived home, and it was clear that I was going to have some serious competition in the baby holding arena. Everyone is eager for their turns, but Terah seems to be my match. Who knows if she will have the same baby magnetism I did as a little girl in an ongoing way (she was certainly over the moon with enthusiasm about her cousin Ivy when "I I" - as she called her - was a baby. But for now she is so eager for any and every chance to walk down the road for a visit and to snuggle him). She just told me to say, "Terah is loving Luca so much!".
It was special to be part of a naming ritual with them in the same location where I had taken some pregnancy pictures not long before. This transition of a baby from womb to arms will never cease to amaze me!
Jonathan and Christen even ventured up the lane to join us for dinner one night, and Luca was fine with that plan as long as he was sacked out. Terah had gotten many stuffed animals (the black and white ones for contrasting colors) lined up for him to play with, but he wasn't quite ready for a playdate. 
He's doing such a great job at being a baby! And his parents are doing such a fabulous job of tending to him and enjoying how good he is at being a baby. And we are so eager to get to know this little person more and embrace who Luca is. Here's more of the love flowing!
He's often appears oblivious to our presence, but I feel sure the love is still working its magic!
The last time I visited (managing to get in a visit by myself!), he found his thumb for a bit.
And this is how I left him. He seems to be taking some lessons from Lilly on how to live a good life!

No comments:

Post a Comment