Monday, May 16, 2022

Milestones for several members of our family!

There have been a few noteworthy happenings for members of our family in the last week. 

For starters, Terah is losing teeth at a fairly rapid pace (prior to the other night, 4 out with 4 more loose). The other evening, she was showing us how wiggly the 5th one was. Moments later my dad texted us a "rainbow alert." As we headed to the door to take a look, she exclaimed that her tooth was out. I've helped with a few at the tail end of the process, but she's had 2 now where they are so loose that they just pop out when she is merely assessing their readiness! I guess she got her answer! Eating certain foods is going to get more and more challenging as the gap widens. She's pretty cute though and seems to get a kick out of her ever changing mouth! Oh, and the rainbow was gorgeous!!
Also this week, I attended the last birth that will go towards my birth doula certification process. I've got a few loose ends to tie up (paperwork and such) and then I can submit my packet for review. I won't go into details in this space, but my feelings about the whole certification process have gotten quite muddled by the upheaval in the organization I have been planning to certify with. That said, I've learned so very much by going through the certification process - through all the podcasts I've listened to, books read, conversations and connections made, and most of all the births. Each one had things that did not go "to plan," things to grieve and things to celebrate. I feel grateful that there have been healthy babies and birthing people at the end of each of them. I'm so thankful to each family for inviting me into their process of preparing for and birthing their baby. Bearing witness to this process and supporting it as I'm able has been a huge privilege. I'm unclear the trajectory of this work for me long term and am glad I have a few months now before another birth to turn my attention more fully to other things.

And, last but not least, we have a high school graduate in our home (here she is receiving her signed transcript from the "administrator" of Tangly Woods Academy)! While this is largely Kali's story to tell, I'll just share a few quick thoughts from my perspective. We had her final homeschool evaluation this past week on Wednesday. I had gotten home around noon after being at the hospital overnight for the birth and was clearly not functional. A nap had me feeling a little more with it, but I admit I went into the meeting feeling uncertain and unprepared. This was not a path I had trod before - we knew what starting the unschooling journey looked like and what doing it looked like for us, but what about "finishing it!?" And what does "finishing it" mean anyway when it pertains to unschooling? It seems probable that our children will be lifelong learners and so this "graduation" was mostly Kali jumping through some official hoops that then give her access to some future options for formal schooling, should she choose to take that path. Otherwise, not much has changed. 

That said, now I know what it looked like for at least one of our kiddos to wrap up the "formal homeschooling process" and I was surprised to find that it brought me to tears at one point. I did not expect it to feel so emotional (and I probably have to credit sleep deprivation to at least a percentage of my high emotions). I found it powerful and touching to sit together with Jason, Kali and our friend/homeschool evaluator, talking over with Kali what she has studied and learned and what she would feel good about including on her transcript. We had the Virginia requirements for high school graduation handy and together we talked through what felt good to list (which did include us having to convince Kali a few times that she absolutely could include various things - she was apt to not give herself enough credit!). 

As it feels is often the case, I believe I was more changed by this process than Kali. This way of learning and assessment is all she has ever known. It is something I've never experienced - to be in charge of assessing my own learning alongside caring adults who are enthusiastic about supporting me and not using external measurements to determine my success. The process was also deeply affirming, as we really haven't taken a step back together to talk about the last four years and what things Kali has pursued for her enjoyment, learning and self development. 

Terah and Alida were playing out in the yard while we met, and when they heard that Kali was graduating they shot into action. She was brought a snowball flower to fill in as a tassel that she could move from right to left. 
We then had an impromptu graduation party, for which Kali made her own hot spinach dip.
On the transcript there was a place for special activities and awards and so we threw in a little awards ceremony in which she was given the following honors:
  • Best Kind and Helpful Big Sister - from Alida
  • Best Deep Listener / Second Best Rook Player - from Tala
  • Kitty Cat Award (for exemplary formation of close attachments while maintaining an independent mind) - from Jason
  • Most Likely to Correct her Mother - from me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment